1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics (also Physics) and university life

1. Jul 10, 2014 #1
    Hello. I would like to have some suggestion about how to make university life "more productive". I will make this clearer:
    1. in the university I will attend (and pretty much in every university in my country) there are only 30-40 students of maths and 40-50 of physics;
    2. it has been verified over the years that this number decreses by 50% after the 1st semester of lessons and that the other 50% is highly successful and composed by extremely motivated students (I hope to be in this 50%!)
    2. so, we will most probably get to know each other in no time;
    3. so I was wondering what could be done to make this small group of highly motivated individuals more "productive", or, in other words, more "lively", "active" and "connected".

So far, I and some friends of mine (who will attend either maths or physics) came up with:
    1. a blog: we can create a blog for maths and physics students of the university to share ideas and useful information which can be relevant event at some other level (that is, the blog will be public);
    2. a facebook/whatsapp group: where we can share some more "confidential" ideas, info, opinions, etc.;
    3. a dropbox account[/B]: for docs sharing;
    4. students seminars (arranged with professors) on problem solving

Now, I would like to ask: do you have any other ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2014 #2
    It sounds good but remember that you are in school to actually learn not to be social and befriend everyone. My advice is to get a good friend or 2 who you can actually study with and bounce ideas off from.

I have a buddy who is doing engineering while I am studying mathematics and we have worked together for the last 2 yrs. We keep each other motivated. Ie who can get the higher test score as well as explain hard concepts to each other.

I have seen many students in study groups who are doing more talking then studying.

4. Jul 10, 2014 #3
    You're right, but there will be like 10 (all extremely motivated and presumably not chatty) of us all taking the same courses in the whole maths department, so it doesn't seem like a big number that can distract.

5. Jul 10, 2014 #4

DataGG

Gold Member

It's nice that you're so "pumped" for your college future. I think all of the ideas you gave are nice. However, there is probably a dropbox account for your major. Ask the older guys there.

6. Jul 10, 2014 #5
    Actually, I asked, but there is none of the things I mentioned.

7. Jul 10, 2014 #6
    Go for it. MOST math/physics students (in my experience) are a little bit introverted, but when you have one that is willing to organize this stuff (which is you) they will often participate.

You may already have some stuff there - like a math club or physics club. Definitely take advantage if those are there - participate as much as possible and you might at some point serve as an officer. I did math club and ultimately served as president, and had a great time.

A private facebook group is the one you can get up and running pretty quickly. People use our math club group to ask general questions (about classes and such) post bad math jokes and memes, etc.

-Dave K

8. Jul 10, 2014 #7
    Thank you for the support Dave. I guess that in the US and UK there are lots of clubs and things like that at university, but here sadly we don't have any (and frankly, we are so few that it would be pointless). By the way, have you any other ideas?

9. Jul 11, 2014 #8
    For awhile I used an online collaboration site called thinkbinder.com. There is a little chat room, bulletin board, whiteboard, and you can type equations and such in there.

It's a little buggy (especially the whiteboard, which keeps erasing itself), but I hope they get it working. I used it for specific classes. My success with it depended on the motivation of the students. Some didn't' contribute but still benefited from the posts. Not sure how I felt about that. There might be something better out there.

It was nice because it didn't depend on everybody matching schedules and having to be in the same place at once.

Not sure I have other ideas. I say go for all the things you mentioned, but also realize not all of them may pan out. Your groups may join and dissolve. But don't let that discourage you. Bringing people together is a good skill to have in undergrad. In graduate school (I have heard) collaboration is very much a necessity. (I am about to find out). It probably goes without saying that such a skill is necessary in the "real world" as well.

-Daev K

10. Jul 11, 2014 #9
    Thank you very much. It seems a really good idea: we will try it

11. Jul 11, 2014 #10
    May I ask what country you are from? There might be organizations that you can join and form a local chapter.

12. Jul 12, 2014 #11
    I'm in Italy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook