Mathematics Graduate School Admissions

In summary, I am hoping to apply to graduate schools in mathematics this fall, and I am in the process of deciding where I'm going to apply. I have a 3.95 GPA (overall and in math). I go to a top 30 math school. I've taken upper division in pretty much every topic (about 15 undergraduate) and have taken 5 graduate course (and plan to take about 10 by the time I graduate). I consider my coursework one of the strongest points of my application. My GRE scores are General: 800 Quantitative, 590 Verbal. Subject: 810 (87%). As a side question, should I retake the subject test? I was scoring near perfect on all the practice tests, so I believe
blerg
I am hoping to apply to graduate schools in mathematics this fall, and I am in the process of deciding where I'm going to apply.

I have a 3.95 GPA (overall and in math). I go to a top 30 math school. I've taken upper division in pretty much every topic (about 15 undergraduate) and have taken 5 graduate course (and plan to take about 10 by the time I graduate). I consider my coursework one of the strongest points of my application.

My GRE scores are General: 800 Quantitative, 590 Verbal. Subject: 810 (87%).
As a side question, should I retake the subject test? I was scoring near perfect on all the practice tests, so I believe I could do better, but is my score good enough?

I did one REU last summer and have submitted results for publication. I've been to several major conferences where I gave a talk on these results.
I did independent study with a famous mathematician last semester and am continuing this work this summer, which will lead into a senior thesis with him this coming year.

I've also been a TA for the past two semesters (not sure if this is worth anything)

My letters of recommendations should be good to great, being from professors I did research with and professors I have had multiple grad classes with.

My interest is in topology, specifically algebraic topology.

Right now my list of schools I want to apply to are as follows:
Berkeley
Chicago
Columbia
Michigan
UPenn
Washington
Harvard
MIT
Northwestern

I would like to have my list critiqued. Do I have a chance of getting into these school? Is my list too top heavy, i.e. should I add some lower ranked school? Any opinions on these schools with regard to my research interests?

Thanks for any type of input!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have a good shot at some of those schools, if your letters of recommendation are good.

I don't think you need to take your subject GRE again at all - that's a very good score. Of course any embellishment can possibly help, but at this point, I don't think a higher GRE subject test score will help you.

Anything can happen in the application process, but I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the application like it is.

Err, keeping the list like it is.

I would be very surprised if you got rejected from all those schools.

Thanks for the advice.

I suppose the stress only gets worse from here.

I would like to congratulate you on your impressive academic achievements and research experience in mathematics. Your strong GPA, rigorous coursework, and involvement in research projects and conferences demonstrate your dedication and passion for the subject.

Regarding your GRE scores, a high quantitative score is definitely a strong asset for your graduate school application in mathematics. However, it would ultimately depend on the specific requirements and expectations of the schools you are applying to. If you feel that you could improve your subject test score, it may be worth considering retaking it to showcase your knowledge and skills in your specific area of interest.

In terms of your list of schools, it is important to consider both your chances of admission as well as the fit for your research interests. Your list includes some top-ranked schools in mathematics, which may be competitive for admission. It may be beneficial to also consider adding some mid-ranked schools to increase your chances of acceptance. Additionally, it would be useful to research the faculty and programs at each school to determine which ones align best with your research interests in topology.

Overall, I believe you have a strong chance of getting into some of the schools on your list, as long as your application materials and research interests are a good fit. I wish you the best of luck in your graduate school application process.

1. What are the typical admission requirements for a mathematics graduate program?

Admission requirements vary by program, but most mathematics graduate programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose.

2. Is prior research experience necessary for admission into a mathematics graduate program?

Prior research experience is not always necessary for admission into a mathematics graduate program, but it can strengthen an application. Many programs look for evidence of research potential and a passion for mathematics in applicants.

3. How important are GRE scores in the admissions process?

GRE scores are typically an important component of the admissions process for mathematics graduate programs. However, they are not the only factor considered. A strong academic background and other application materials can also influence admission decisions.

4. Are there any specific courses that I should take to prepare for a mathematics graduate program?

While there are no specific courses required for admission into a mathematics graduate program, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. Additional courses in analysis, topology, and number theory can also be beneficial.

5. How can I make my application stand out in the highly competitive field of mathematics graduate school admissions?

To make your application stand out, it is important to have a strong academic record, letters of recommendation from professors or researchers who can speak to your potential, and a well-written statement of purpose. Additionally, gaining research experience, participating in math competitions, and having a strong understanding of your desired research area can also make your application more competitive.