1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics Required for Introductory G-Rel

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    I would like to begin some self study of general relativity. I know the math invlolved is quite rigorous so I would greatly appreciate suggestions on books that will put my math level on par with G-rel. I currently have a knowledge of multi-v calc and vector cal (not tensors), linear algebra, and ordinary diff eqs. At this point, I am not quite sure how to progress into the mathematics. So basically, I am asking what subjects\books I need to read in chronological order to eventually have a full understanding of G-Rel mathematically. Again, I am completely lost as to what to do next, so please be specific ;).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I haven't actually learned general relativity, but from what I've heard of it, you'll need to learn the maths about:
    Tensors, non-euclidean geometry, curvature of reimannian manifolds.
    I'm sure there is a lot more to learn as well. Maybe try this page, and follow the links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_mathematics_of_general_relativity
    And I'm guessing you're already familiar with special relativity? I think that special relativity should be learned before general, since it gives a good introduction to some of the concepts. (And it is correct for inertial frames, when no gravitational field is present).

Edit: sorry I haven't given a chronological order of mathematics you need to learn, or recommended books. But I haven't learned it myself. In fact, I'd also be interested to know what I would need to learn to be able to understand general relativity.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Try taking a look at Sean Carrolls Notes on General Relativity (http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/). They do a pretty good job of explaining the necessary math.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can start with an undergraduate GR book, right now, such as "Exploring black holes". I think there were a few others recommended at that level as well.

Personally, I'd recommend learning tensors in the context of electromagnetism first, assuming you have a reasonable background in E&M. Then you'll be somewhat familiar with them when you move onto a graduate level GR book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook