Mathematics to Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the speaker is a math graduate currently doing their honours year and hoping to work in the space industry. They are considering pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering and possibly taking a break from studies to pursue a career in the RAF or a scholarship in the United States. They are wondering if they would be eligible for a scholarship, given their time away from the study environment and change in career choice.
Alexrey
Hey guys,

I know a topic similar to this has already been talked about, but my case is a little different. I am a maths graduate currently doing my honours year in maths. Just a quick rundown of what this means: Where I live a basic graduate degree entails 3 years of full-time study where a 4th year, known as your "honours" year, is slotted in after your graduate year and before your masters year. Anyway, I graduated top of my class in maths and the way things are going this year should see me at the top of my honours class as well. My main focus has been on pure maths with some applied courses thrown in, but what I'm really interested in is working in the space industry once my studies are complete, as the idea of permanent human expansion into space fascinates me, and with the recent surge in commercial projects coming to life I believe this would be an awesome career path to take. As such I believe a degree in mechanical engineering with a specialization in something like propulsion systems would be a good choice (please correct me if I'm wrong!). Of course with my pure maths background it'll be impossible to go straight to a masters in ME (plus I didn't do any physics after my first year or stats in my undergrad years). I realize that I will most likely have to go back a few years and do a bit of a catch-up which doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the following: I would like to take a break from studies next year and see if I can pursue a career in the RAF. If this does not work out then I am looking to get a scholarship to study in the United States. So my questions are the following:

1) I'm hoping to be able to get a scholarship to a reasonably good university (not necessarily the best, just a respected institution). Would any uni give a scholarship to someone like me who has, (a) spent possibly 1 to 2 years out of the study environment, (b) decided to change their career choice from mathematics to mechanical engineering where I would need to play catch-up for a few years to get the ME class requirements under my belt?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best choice would be Mathematical Modelling (I'm assuming you did a few math model classes during your undergrad). I have 2 Mech. teachers that did that.

1. How is mathematics used in mechanical engineering?

Mathematics is used extensively in mechanical engineering to solve problems and make accurate calculations. It is used to analyze and design mechanical systems, such as engines, machines, and structures. Calculus, algebra, and geometry are some of the most commonly used mathematical concepts in mechanical engineering.

2. What are some specific applications of mathematics in mechanical engineering?

Some specific applications of mathematics in mechanical engineering include kinematics, dynamics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and materials science. These fields use various mathematical concepts and equations to model and analyze the behavior of mechanical systems.

3. How important is a strong foundation in mathematics for a career in mechanical engineering?

A strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for a career in mechanical engineering. It provides the necessary skills and knowledge to solve complex engineering problems and design efficient and reliable mechanical systems. Math is also essential for understanding advanced concepts in mechanical engineering, such as control systems and optimization techniques.

4. Can you give an example of how mathematics is applied in a real-world mechanical engineering project?

An example of how mathematics is applied in a real-world mechanical engineering project is in the design of an airplane wing. Engineers use mathematical equations and principles to determine the optimal shape and size of the wing, taking into account factors such as lift, drag, and weight. This allows for the creation of a wing that is both aerodynamic and structurally sound.

5. How does the use of computer programs and software affect the role of mathematics in mechanical engineering?

The use of computer programs and software has greatly enhanced the role of mathematics in mechanical engineering. These tools allow for more complex and accurate calculations to be performed, making it easier for engineers to design and analyze mechanical systems. However, a strong understanding of mathematical concepts is still essential for using these programs effectively and interpreting the results they produce.