Maths/Mathsphysics course in German-speaking university?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to go on an exchange to a German-speaking country for their math/mathsphysics degree. They are seeking a reputable university that offers this specific degree, and are advised that most German universities primarily focus on pure math or math-computer science. The conversation also touches on the history of famous German mathematicians and the current state of math and physics studies in Germany.
Pyroadept
Hi everyone,
I'm in second year of a maths/mathsphysics degree (four years) and want to go on an exchange next year to a German-speaking country. My university has given me the job of picking the university. Most German universities seem to just do a pure maths or maths-computer science degree. Does anyone know of a reputable university offering a maths/mathsphysics degree?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Pyroadept said:
Most German universities seem to just do a pure maths or maths-computer science degree.

That's right. Math and physics in general are very unconnected in Germany. People
do the one or the other thing.

Physics is pretty much 95% experimental physics over here in Germany believe it or not.

I know that most people from different countries think that math or physics
has to be s.th. special here because of all those guys with german
ancestry like Einstein, Planck, Hilbert, Pauli, Schrödinger (both austrian),
Bethe, Born, Goedel ... to name a few. But times have changed and the best
programs are at the most elite studies in your country (usa), trust me.

What you mean is possibly analysis which falls in the category "mathematical physics"
or "applied mathematics" which is in it's heart nothing else then pure math with topics like PDE's etc.

Universities which offering something like that anyway:

LMU Munich (very elite)

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/TMP/

Wuerzburg (or würzburg)

(they have a newly created course of studies http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/ueber/sonstige_einrichtungen/hochschulinfotag_2009/aktuelles/meldungen/single/artikel/neuer-stud-2/ [Broken] even if you can't read it)

I don't know anything else which is probably as good as those two things
a very good math university is the university of Bonn.

Three things:

1. It's very special here in Germany what you want to do
and really rarely exists.

2. It's often not very good supported except for elite programs such like the
LMU studies.

3. Almost all studies also experimental physics or chemistry and math are all
very theoretical compared to most different countries (even if you have to do a lot of hand work).

3. is something a lot of exchange students told me, and I don't think it's
a bonus. So make sure you really get what you want if you come to Germany.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
!

I understand the importance of studying mathematics and physics together to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world. I also recognize the value of studying abroad to broaden one's perspective and gain new experiences. It is great that you have the opportunity to go on an exchange to a German-speaking country.

In terms of finding a reputable university offering a maths/mathsphysics degree, I suggest doing some research and reaching out to universities directly. Some reputable universities in Germany that offer this type of degree include Technical University of Munich, University of Bonn, and Heidelberg University. It may also be helpful to consult with your university's study abroad office for recommendations and guidance.

Additionally, keep in mind that many universities in Germany offer courses in English, so you may be able to find a maths/mathsphysics program taught in English if that is a concern for you. I wish you all the best in your search and exchange experience. Studying mathematics and physics in a different cultural and linguistic environment can be a valuable and enriching experience. Good luck!

1. What subjects are typically covered in a Maths/Mathsphysics course in a German-speaking university?

In a Maths/Mathsphysics course in a German-speaking university, students can expect to cover a wide range of subjects including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, statistics, and mathematical modeling. They may also have the opportunity to study more advanced topics such as abstract algebra, topology, and complex analysis.

2. Are there any specific language requirements for this course?

German-speaking universities typically require students to have a certain level of proficiency in the German language in order to enroll in a Maths/Mathsphysics course. However, some universities may offer courses in English for international students.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates of a Maths/Mathsphysics course?

A Maths/Mathsphysics course can lead to various career opportunities such as becoming a mathematician, statistician, data analyst, actuary, or research scientist. Graduates may also find employment in industries such as finance, engineering, technology, and education.

4. How does a Maths/Mathsphysics course in a German-speaking university differ from other countries?

German-speaking universities have a strong emphasis on theoretical and abstract mathematics, compared to other countries where there may be more of a focus on applied mathematics. Additionally, German universities may have a longer duration for their Maths/Mathsphysics courses, typically lasting 4-5 years.

5. Are there any research opportunities for students in this course?

Yes, German-speaking universities often have strong research programs in mathematics and physics, providing students with opportunities to work on cutting-edge projects and collaborate with faculty members. Students may also have the chance to participate in internships or exchange programs with other universities or institutions.