Maths needed for a plasma physics and astrophysics module

In summary, the speaker is studying a MEng Electrical and Mechanical engineering course in the UK and has been approved to take on an extra module in plasma and astro physics. They are wondering what maths they should be familiar with before starting the module and have already looked at solutions for wave and heat equations, vector calculus, and other topics related to electromagnetism and fluid dynamics. They are advised to also look into the mathematics of electromagnetic theory and hydrodynamics, as well as being comfortable with solving sets of simultaneous partial differential equations. The speaker is grateful for the recommendations and believes that learning these maths concepts will benefit them in their future studies.
jemb
Hi,

i'm studying a MEng Electrical and Mechanical engineering course in the UK. I've just started second year and have been approved by my advisor to take on an extra module next semester in plasma and astro physics.

This module is intended for 4th year physics students and won't count towards my actual degree credits. Its purely for my own interest in the subject.

My question is what maths am I going to need to be familiar with before I start? I've started looking at solutions to wave and heat equations, and covering vector calculus for electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

Any thoughts on where I should go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the mathematics of electromagnetic theory and hydrodynamics.

Ultimately one must be able to understand and solve sets of simultaneous partial differential equations, e.g., Navier-Stokes set (continuity - mass, momentum and energy), and conservation of charge. And one should be comfortable with time-depenedent, non-linear PDEs.

See our Learning Materials forum for tutorials in physics, including EM and plasma physics.

That sounds like plenty to be getting on with!

Hopefully if I learn the maths well it'll all stand me in good stead for later on in my course. It all seems pretty transferable.

Thanks for the recommendations!

1. What level of math is required for a plasma physics and astrophysics module?

The level of math needed for this module is typically at the advanced undergraduate or graduate level. Students should have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

2. Is knowledge of vector calculus necessary for this module?

Yes, knowledge of vector calculus is essential for understanding and solving problems in plasma physics and astrophysics. This includes concepts such as gradient, divergence, and curl, which are used to describe physical phenomena in these fields.

3. Do I need to know complex analysis for this module?

While knowledge of complex analysis is not required, it can be useful for understanding certain topics in plasma physics and astrophysics. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of complex numbers, functions, and integrals.

4. Will I need to use computer programming in this module?

Yes, computer programming is often used in plasma physics and astrophysics to solve complex mathematical equations and simulate physical phenomena. Knowledge of a programming language such as Python or MATLAB is beneficial.

5. How important is numerical analysis for this module?

Numerical analysis plays a crucial role in plasma physics and astrophysics, as many problems in these fields cannot be solved analytically and require numerical methods. It is important to have a good understanding of numerical techniques such as interpolation, integration, and solving differential equations.