Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLAB - Calculate distance/perimeter of an object in 2D image

1. Oct 25, 2013 #1
    Hi, I want to find out how thick/big/fat is the object in the image.

For example, there is a tree in the image(photograph), I want to use matlab to calculate how big the tree trunk is.
    Problem: Find out the perimeter of trunk as shown in the first picture (named "perimeter.PNG". attached here.

1) Can I use 3D calculation with front view and side view images only(Only use 1 camera)?
    2) Or find out the length of trunk from front view ( second image, named "length.PNG") and combine with other algorithm?
    3) If the methods I suggested above are not possible, any possible solutions?

p/s: will use matlab, if matlab can't do these,any suggestion on software?

Will very appreciate on your suggestions.
    Thanks in advance!:smile:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Without some known reference length, I don't see how this can be done. You might as well ask MATLAB to guess your height and weight.

4. Oct 26, 2013 #3
    How if height is given or another object in the image with known size?? Any solution? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook