MATLAB - Calculate distance/perimeter of an object in 2D image

  • Topic: MATLAB 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ping Ong
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2d Image Matlab
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Ping Ong
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I want to find out how thick/big/fat is the object in the image.

For example, there is a tree in the image(photograph), I want to use MATLAB to calculate how big the tree trunk is.
Problem: Find out the perimeter of trunk as shown in the first picture (named "perimeter.PNG". attached here.

1) Can I use 3D calculation with front view and side view images only(Only use 1 camera)?
2) Or find out the length of trunk from front view ( second image, named "length.PNG") and combine with other algorithm?
3) If the methods I suggested above are not possible, any possible solutions?

p/s: will use matlab, if MATLAB can't do these,any suggestion on software?

Will very appreciate on your suggestions.
Thanks in advance!:smile:
 
Attachments
  • perimeter.PNG
    perimeter.PNG
    15 KB · Views: 734
  • length.PNG
    length.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 745
Physics news on Phys.org
Without some known reference length, I don't see how this can be done. You might as well ask MATLAB to guess your height and weight.
 
SteamKing said:
Without some known reference length, I don't see how this can be done. You might as well ask MATLAB to guess your height and weight.

How if height is given or another object in the image with known size?? Any solution? Thanks
 
Last edited: