Solving MATLAB Matrix Equations for 4 Variables

In summary, the conversation is about a person needing help with solving a matrix equation for four different variables in MATLAB. The person shares their input and asks for guidance, mentioning that they are a beginner. The other person suggests using the symbolic toolbox "solve" function and provides an example of how to approach the problem.
Appa
I'm having trouble working my way through a MATLAB problem. How can I solve a matrix equation for four different variables?

Here is my input: (I know all variables except I1 through I4)

V = [(R1*I1 -j*(1/(omega*C1))*(I1-I2) +j*omega*L2*(I1-I3)-E1);
(-j*(1/(omega*C1))*(I2-I1) +j*omega*L1*I2 -j*(1/(omega*C2))*(I2-I4));
(j*omega*L3*I3 +j*omega*L2*(I3-I1) -j*(1/(omega*C3))*(I3-I4));
(-j*(1/(omega*C3))*(I4-I3) -j*(1/(omega*C2))*(I4-I2) +R2*I4 -E2)]

So how do I compute my needed variables out? The answer is propably simple, but I'm a complete beginner with MATLAB, and I really need help with this!

P.S. the integer j is the imaginary unit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the obvious starting point is to put your set of linear equations in matrix form. Is that the part you're stuck on?

Try the symbolic toolbox "solve" function?

Looks like you have 4 equations is V is a <4x1>, so you'll have four symbolic variables I1-I4.

eg.

[type what your other values are for omega, etc.]
syms I1 I2 I3 I4
solve('V(1) - R1*I1 -j*(1/(omega*C1))*(I1-I2) +j*omega*L2*(I1-I3)-E1', ...)

should tell you what I1-4 are, I think.

1. How do I solve a matrix equation in MATLAB for 4 variables?

To solve a matrix equation with 4 variables in MATLAB, you can use the "linsolve" function. This function takes in two inputs: the matrix of coefficients and the matrix of constants. It then returns the solution vector for the 4 variables.

2. Can I use the backslash operator to solve a matrix equation with 4 variables in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use the backslash operator (\) to solve a matrix equation with 4 variables in MATLAB. The backslash operator performs a least-squares solution, which is useful when the equation is over- or under-determined.

3. What if my matrix equation has more than 4 variables?

If your matrix equation has more than 4 variables, you can still use the "linsolve" function or backslash operator in MATLAB. However, you will need to make sure that your matrix of coefficients is square and that the number of variables matches the number of equations.

4. Can I use MATLAB to solve a system of linear equations with 4 variables?

Yes, you can use MATLAB to solve a system of linear equations with 4 variables. You can use the same methods mentioned above (using the "linsolve" function or backslash operator) to solve the system of equations.

5. Is there a way to check if my solution for a matrix equation with 4 variables is correct?

Yes, you can use the "mldivide" function in MATLAB to check if your solution for a matrix equation with 4 variables is correct. This function takes in the matrix of coefficients and the solution vector and returns a matrix of residuals. If the solution is correct, the residuals should be close to zero.