1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrice Multiplication, can someone check my work?

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Its a 3x2 multiplying a 2x2. (3 down 2 across, 3x2) I was gone for the day that my teacher explained it to us, and I am not sure how to do it. I tried, but I want to be sure.

2. Relevant equations
    5 2
    0 -4 _X_ 3 7
    1 6 ___ -2 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer I got was
    18 42
    -8 0

Can one of you intellectuals tell me if I got the right answer?

EDIT: I realized I didn't actually tell you what I did. I took the first column of numbers in the first matrix (5, 0, 1), and added together the products of it and the first number in the first column (3). I took the 3 numbers from the second column (2, -4, 6) and added the products of them and the first number in the second column (7). I repeated that with the -2 and the 0.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2
    You're not multiplying the matrices correctly. Here is what you should do:

[itex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    a & b\\
    c & d\\
    e & f
    \end{array}
    \right) \cdot
    \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    g & h\\
    i & j\\
    \end{array}
    \right) =
    \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    ag + bi & ah + bj\\
    cg + di & ch + dj\\
    eg + fi & eh + fj
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/itex]

You have a 3x2 (rows x columns) multiplied by a 2x2 matrix. When multiplying, the "inside" two numbers cancel out and the resulting matrix is the dimensions of the outside numbers. So, for example, a 4x3 matrix multiplied by a 3x1 matrix would yield a 4x1 matrix. The inside numbers MUST match, otherwise it's not valid to multiply them.

Try to redo your problem and see what you come up with!

4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    This time I got
    11 35
    8 0
    -9 7

Is that right?

5. Mar 14, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The singular of the (plural) word matrices, is the word matrix.

6. Mar 14, 2012 #5
    That answer looks good! And what Sammy posted is also correct, I didn't catch that any of the times I glanced at the subject.

7. Mar 14, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

And matrice is not a word. Those Romans with their Latin language and weird plurals are to blame. Some other Latin-derived words with the same pluralization rules are appendix, aviatrix (female aviator), and circatrix (scar tissue).

8. Mar 14, 2012 #7
    Well, linguistic debates aside, I checked in the back of the book in the selected answers, and it seems I got it right. Thanks for the help, but I have another problem so I posted another thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook