1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices and rank inequality exercise

1. Jun 9, 2014 #1
    The problem statement

Let ##A ∈ K^{m×n}## and ##B ∈ K^{n×r}##
    Prove that min##\{rg(A),rg(B)\}≥rg(AB)≥rg(A)+rg(B)−n##

My attempt at a solution

(1) ##AB=(AB_1|...|AB_j|...|AB_r)## (##B_j## is the ##j-th## column of ##B##), I don't know if the following statement is correct: the columns of ##AB## are a linear combination of the columns of ##B##, then ##rg(AB)≤rg(B)##.

(2)In a similar way, ##AB= \begin{bmatrix} —A_1B— \\ \vdots \\ —A_jB— \\ \vdots \\—A_mB— \end{bmatrix}## (##A_j## denotes the ##j-th## row of ##A##), so the rows of ##AB## are a linear combination of the rows of ##A##, from here one deduces ##rg(AB)≤rg(A)##.

From (1) and (2) it follows ##rg(AB)≤min\{rg(A),rg(B)\}##.

This is what I've done so far. I am having doubts with, for example (1), this statement I've conjectured: the columns of ##AB## are a linear combination of the columns of ##B##, then ##rg(AB)≤rg(B)##, but wouldn't this be the case iff ##AB=(α_1B_1|...|α_jB_j|...|α_rB_r)## with ##α_1,...,α_n ∈ K## instead of ##(AB_1|...|AB_j|...|AB_r)## ? This is a major doubt I have, the same goes for (2).

I need help to show the inequality ##rg(AB)≥rg(A)+rg(B)−n##

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure I will answer your question, but I would suggest you might get more responses if you defined your terms. What is ##K^{mxn}##? What does ##rg(A)## mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted