Matrices and wedge product concepts needed

In summary, the conversation discusses learning clifford and grassmannian algebras, with a focus on matrices and a basis-free approach. The book "Linear Algebra via Exterior Products" by Sergei Winitzki is recommended as a helpful resource, although it does not specifically cover clifford or grassmannian algebras. The individual speaking is a software developer seeking to fill gaps in their knowledge.
J Morello
I want to learn clifford and grassmannian algebras. I need to be taken from mostly a beginners point, and from a place of matrices only in general terms, and years since use.

ANybody up for it? I am a software developer, so not at the bottom of any learning curve.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at this book: https://sites.google.com/site/winitzki/linalg
It does linear algebra with a basis free approach. So it will make full use of tensors and wedge products. It doesn't do clifford or grassmannian algebras though (well he does, but he doesn't identify them as such), but it's a nice preparation.

I will start with it, but I may have basic questions i need to ask, as I learned a lot very unconventionally. So there are holes in my knowledge all over.

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent and manipulate data in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How are matrices used in computer graphics?

Matrices are used in computer graphics to represent transformations such as rotations, translations, and scaling. These transformations are applied to points in 3D space to create realistic and dynamic images.

3. What is the wedge product?

The wedge product, also known as the exterior product, is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector perpendicular to both. It is commonly used in geometric algebra and differential geometry.

4. How is the wedge product related to cross product?

The wedge product is a generalization of the cross product in 3D space. While the cross product only applies to 3D vectors, the wedge product can be used for any number of dimensions. Both operations result in a vector perpendicular to the original vectors.

5. How can matrices and wedge product be used in solving real-world problems?

Matrices and wedge product can be used in various real-world applications such as robotics, computer vision, and physics. They can be used to solve problems related to 3D transformations, optimization, and geometric calculations. For example, matrices can be used to model and control the movement of a robotic arm, while the wedge product can be used to calculate the torque required to move an object in space.