Matrices: Question about Commutativity

• Thread starter flash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses the commutativity of matrix multiplication and how it applies to scalar multiplication. It is mentioned that in a commutative ring, such as the real or complex number field, the order of multiplication does not matter. However, in non-commutative rings like quaternions, the order of multiplication can affect the end result. The conversation also mentions the use of quaternions in the context of finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix and how a scalar can be moved around in the equation without affecting the outcome.
flash
I have a question about commutativity.
I have two matrices X and Y and a constant k. I want to calculate X * kY. Can I bring k out the front to give k(X*Y)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link. It says "When the underlying ring is commutative, for example, the real or complex number field, the two multiplications are the same. However, if the ring is not commutative, such as the quaternions, they may be different."

Lol, I am actually working with quaternions. The matrices contain complex numbers. I am trying to show that
Q * Q-1 = Identity
but Q-1 is kX because its the inverse of a 2x2 matrix. So I thought it would be easier to work out QX then multiply the answer by k to (hopefully) give the Identity matrix (if that makes any sense at all).

Well then, I bow to people more knowledgeable than I about manipulating quarternions.

Same statement is true: a scalar (number), k, can be moved around pretty much as you wish. It is only multiplication of the matrices or quaternions that is non-commutative.

Thanks for the help, I moved k out the front and it worked :smile:

1. What is commutativity in matrices?

Commutativity in matrices refers to the property where the order of multiplication of matrices does not affect the final result. In other words, if we have two matrices A and B, then A multiplied by B will give the same result as B multiplied by A.

2. How can I determine if two matrices are commutative?

To determine if two matrices are commutative, you can simply multiply them in both orders and see if the results are the same. If the results are the same, then the matrices are commutative. However, if the results are different, then the matrices are not commutative.

3. Are all matrices commutative?

No, not all matrices are commutative. In fact, most matrices are non-commutative. Only a special type of matrices called diagonal matrices are commutative.

4. What are the benefits of commutativity in matrices?

Commutativity in matrices can simplify calculations and make them more efficient. It also allows for easier manipulation and transformation of matrices in certain applications.

5. How does commutativity in matrices relate to the commutative property in mathematics?

The commutative property in mathematics states that the order of operations does not affect the final result. This concept is similar to commutativity in matrices, where the order of multiplication does not change the final result. However, it is important to note that not all mathematical operations are commutative, whereas in matrices, only a few special types of matrices are commutative.