Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix equation, solving for x(t)

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    this comes strait from a text book:
    http://higheredbcs.wiley.com/legacy/college/nise/0471794759/appendices/app_i.pdf
    I am looking at how they obtained (I.24) from (I.25) on page 3 and 4.

Firstly we have:

[itex]e^{-\textbf{A}t}x(t)-x(0)=\int{e^{-\textbf{A}t}\textbf{Bu}(\tau)d\tau}[/itex]

Then this is derived to:

[itex]x(t)=e^{-\textbf{A}t}x(0)+\int{e^{-\textbf{A}(t-\tau)}\textbf{Bu}(\tau)d\tau}[/itex]

my question is why does the derived equation have [itex]e^{-\textbf{A}t}[/itex]. I thought it would have been [itex]e^{\textbf{A}t}[/itex] instead. Can someone explain this too me. The text didnt help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there are typos in the first line of equation 25. Some of the minus signs shouldn't be there.

The statement "where [itex]\Phi(t) = e^{At}[/itex] by defintion" and the equation involving [itex]\Phi[/itex] are correct.

Just take equation 24 and multiply all the term by [itex]e^{At}[/itex] (note, no minus sign!) to get the correct version.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook