Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix multiplication to addition

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1
    I am looking for a transformation that relates a matrix product with a matrix addition, e.g.
    AB = PA + QB

Is there any such transformation?
    Thnx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, the answer would be no, simply because of a dimensional mismatch.
    Suppose A is an n x m matrix and B is m x r (the first dimension has to be m otherwise AB does not make sense). Then AB is n x r. However, P will be p x n and Q will be q x m, for some numbers p and s (the second coordinate is fixed because the products will have to make sense). All this only works out if p = q = m = r which restricts the validity of the theorem, if it were true, quite a lot.

Oh, and if you do get the dimensions to work out, there is of course the trivial solution P = 0n x m, Q = A.

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the answer.
    You are right about the particular transformation yet that was just a naive example I gave.

I am sure there exist "clever" ways to achieve this.

For example
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm_of_a_matrix

I don't know if that helps more but what I actually need is
    the below transformation.
    AB*u -> f(A)*u + f(B)*u

where u is a vector and f,g() some functions (like the one in the link I gave)

5. Jun 27, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, a single number can be thought of as a "one by one" matrix so the first thing you should think about is "if A and B are numbers, do there necessarily exist a function f such that ABu= f(A)u+ f(B)u for every number u?"

6. Jul 1, 2013 #5
    So in short you are saying that this transformation doesn't hold?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook