1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Multiplication

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well, basically my issue isn't exactly with how to multiply matrices. I know how to do that, my issue is the way my lecturer shows how to find the size of the new matrix, this is all that he shows:
    e6e8784ec7.png

I mean how is he getting AX to be a 3x1 matrix?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

In order to do matrix multiplication, the number of columns of the first matrix must fit the number of rows of the second and this goes by definition. Then what specifies the dimensions of the new matrix, is the number of rows of the first and the number of columns of the second.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You said above that you know how to multiply matrices. If you calculate AX, with A and X as shown in the image, what do you get?
    Possibly your problem is not understanding that vectors are special cases of matrices, with only one row (row vector) or one column (column vector).

The vector/matrix X shown here is a column vector, with three rows and one column; i.e., a 3 X 1 matrix.

5. Mar 3, 2016 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

This is the only definition of matrix multiplication I have ever been aware of, so I am not sure what you mean that you know how to multiply matrices.
    Here is a website with arrows and pictures.
    https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-multiplying.html

Recommend: move to precalculus forum.

6. Mar 3, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Done...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted