1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix representation of an operator in a new basis

Tags:
  1. Dec 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Amn be a matrix representation of some operator A in the basis |φn> and let Unj be a unitary operator that changes the basis |φn> to a new basis |ψj>. I am asked to write down the matrix representation of A in the new basis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Should I try to evaluate <m|UnjA|n>? Is that how this should be approached?
    I know that Unjn>=|ψj>.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The definition of the matrix elements in the new basis is: Aij = <ψi| A |ψj>. This is what you have to evaluate.

4. Dec 27, 2014 #3
    I realise that, which is precisely why I asked whether I should evaluate the effect Unj has on the basis elements, namely through evaluating <m|UnjA|n>. Or thus I presumed. Am I totally off?

5. Dec 27, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not totally, but a bit. What is |ψj> and what is <ψi|? What happens when you insert these expressions into Aij = <ψi| A |ψj>?

6. Dec 27, 2014 #5
    Row and column vectors?
    Aij are the elements of matrix A, I think.

7. Dec 27, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I mean in terms of the original basis vectors. What happens when you insert this into what you want to compute?

8. Dec 27, 2014 #7
    I am not sure I understand what you mean by "inserting that into what I wish to compute". Please clarify.

9. Dec 27, 2014 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you insert the definition of the |ψj>, this is not what you get. The definition is:

10. Dec 27, 2014 #9
    Let's try this. I know that the i-th column is obtained through U|i>=|Ai> and <Ai|=<i|U. Is this somewhat closer to what you intended?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted