1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix similarity transformation

1. May 20, 2012 #1

sharks

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a 3x3 matrix A, i know the eigenvalues and their corresponding 3 eigenvectors.

Define a matrix P such that ##PAP^{-1}## is a diagonal matrix.

2. Relevant equations
    Similarity transformation formula: ##D=P^{-1}AP## where D is the diagonal matrix containing the eigenvalues as its trace elements.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The 3 eigenvectors form a 3x3 matrix P.
    The problem is that i've learned the formula to be: ##D=P^{-1}AP##
    But what is being asked here is: ##PAP^{-1}##

I've re-arranged the matrix, ##D=P^{-1}AP##, into: ##PDP^{-1}=IAI## which gives ##PDP^{-1}=A## but i have no idea what to do next.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2
    Well, you can transponse left and right sides of [itex]D=P^{-1}AP[/itex], notice that [itex]D = D^T[/itex]

4. May 20, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

Hi Karamata
    I don't understand what you mean.
    [tex]D^T=PAP^{-1}?[/tex]What would P be then?

5. May 20, 2012 #4
    If you have ##D = P^{-1} A P##, then let ##Q = P^{-1}##. Do you see why this gives you the result you want?

6. May 20, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

If ##Q = P^{-1}## then does ##Q^{-1} = P##? If yes, then ##D=QAQ^{-1}##? Is there any proof for it? I'm not convinced. In that case, what would be the matrix Q?

7. May 20, 2012 #6
    Proving ##(Q^{-1})^{-1} = Q## is easy. What's the definition of the inverse of a matrix?

Well Q would be the inverse of the matrix P! :P Seriously though, if you have ##D = P^{-1} A P## or equivalently ##PD = AP## then what must the columns of P be? Think about eigenvectors.

8. May 20, 2012 #7

sharks

Gold Member

OK, i think i understand the idea here.

Let ##Q = P^{-1}##, then ##Q^{-1} = P## and the problem changes to ##D=Q^{-1}AQ##, which corresponds to the standard form for the diagonal, D. Here, Q is the matrix of all 3 eigenvectors, and D is the diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues as its trace elements. Now, i need to find P, where ##P=Q^{-1}##. Is there an easier way to find ##Q^{-1}## other than finding the adjoint matrix of Q and its determinant?

Instead of using this formula to find ##Q^{-1}##: ##\frac{1}{|Q|}adj(Q)##

I'm thinking it might be easier to derive it from: ##D=Q^{-1}AQ## but i have no idea how.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  9. May 20, 2012 #8
    Don't you mean ##D = Q A Q^{-1}##?
    Right, except I think ##Q^{-1}## would be the matrix whose columns are the eigenvectors of A. Try writing out what PD = AP tells you in terms of the columns of P:
    $$
    PD =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    | & | & | \\
    P_1 & P_2 & P_3 \\
    | & | & |
    \end{pmatrix}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    \lambda_1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & \lambda_2 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & \lambda_3
    \end{pmatrix}= \cdots
    $$
    $$
    AP = A
    \begin{pmatrix}
    | & | & | \\
    P_1 & P_2 & P_3 \\
    | & | & |
    \end{pmatrix} = \cdots
    $$

10. May 20, 2012 #9

sharks

Gold Member

I think you misunderstood the problem:
    So, ##D=Q^{-1}AQ## and Q is the matrix of eigenvectors of A.

11. May 20, 2012 #10
    Ah, sorry I hadn't noticed you had edited your post!

Since you already know the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, just put them in a matrix and invert it using whatever method you prefer. You can use Cramer's rule, the equation for which you've listed below, or write the augemented matrix P|I and then row-reduce the left-hand side to the identity.

I don't see any shortcut using the equation ##D = Q A Q^{-1}##. Certainly you know what ##Q^{-1}## must be, but I think you just have to calculate its inverse as usual.

Edit: I think we're confusing each other about what P is and what Q is. I took P to be as in the similarity formula you listed in the OP, ##D = P^{-1} A P##, which would then make ##Q = P^{-1}## the solution you're looking for.

12. May 20, 2012 #11

sharks

Gold Member

I know. :smile: So, if i find ##Q^{-1}## then i'll know the required matrix P. According to my calculations:
    [tex]Q^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 & -2 \\ 1 & 1 & 3 \\ -1 & -1 & -2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    I tested the answer and got ##QQ^{-1}=I##

Thanks for the help.

13. May 20, 2012 #12
    Great! And just to make sure, you might want to calculate ##P A P^{-1}## and verify that you get the diagonal matrix D. And if it doesn't give you D, then I've succeeded in confusing you and you should see if ##P^{-1} A P## works! :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook