Matrix similarity transformation

In summary: I just realized I made a mistake in one of my earlier posts. I should have written$$A \begin{pmatrix}| & | & | \\P_1 & P_2 & P_3 \\| & | & |\end{pmatrix} = \cdots$$instead of$$AP = \cdots$$Sorry about that! At any rate, I'm glad you solved it. Cheers!
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For a 3x3 matrix A, i know the eigenvalues and their corresponding 3 eigenvectors.

Define a matrix P such that ##PAP^{-1}## is a diagonal matrix.

Homework Equations

Similarity transformation formula: ##D=P^{-1}AP## where D is the diagonal matrix containing the eigenvalues as its trace elements.

The Attempt at a Solution

The 3 eigenvectors form a 3x3 matrix P.
The problem is that I've learned the formula to be: ##D=P^{-1}AP##
But what is being asked here is: ##PAP^{-1}##

I've re-arranged the matrix, ##D=P^{-1}AP##, into: ##PDP^{-1}=IAI## which gives ##PDP^{-1}=A## but i have no idea what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can transponse left and right sides of [itex]D=P^{-1}AP[/itex], notice that [itex]D = D^T[/itex]

Hi Karamata
Karamata said:
Well, you can transponse left and right sides of [itex]D=P^{-1}AP[/itex], notice that [itex]D = D^T[/itex]
I don't understand what you mean.
[tex]D^T=PAP^{-1}?[/tex]What would P be then?

sharks said:

Homework Statement

For a 3x3 matrix A, i know the eigenvalues and their corresponding 3 eigenvectors.

Homework Equations

Similarity transformation formula: ##D=P^{-1}AP## where D is the diagonal matrix containing the eigenvalues as its trace elements.

The Attempt at a Solution

The 3 eigenvectors form a 3x3 matrix P.
The problem is that I've learned the formula to be: ##D=P^{-1}AP##
But what is being asked here is: ##PAP^{-1}##

I've re-arranged the matrix, ##D=P^{-1}AP##, into: ##PDP^{-1}=IAI## which gives ##PDP^{-1}=A## but i have no idea what to do next.

If you have ##D = P^{-1} A P##, then let ##Q = P^{-1}##. Do you see why this gives you the result you want?

spamiam said:
If you have ##D = P^{-1} A P##, then let ##Q = P^{-1}##. Do you see why this gives you the result you want?

If ##Q = P^{-1}## then does ##Q^{-1} = P##? If yes, then ##D=QAQ^{-1}##? Is there any proof for it? I'm not convinced. In that case, what would be the matrix Q?

Proving ##(Q^{-1})^{-1} = Q## is easy. What's the definition of the inverse of a matrix?

Well Q would be the inverse of the matrix P! :P Seriously though, if you have ##D = P^{-1} A P## or equivalently ##PD = AP## then what must the columns of P be? Think about eigenvectors.

OK, i think i understand the idea here.

Let ##Q = P^{-1}##, then ##Q^{-1} = P## and the problem changes to ##D=Q^{-1}AQ##, which corresponds to the standard form for the diagonal, D. Here, Q is the matrix of all 3 eigenvectors, and D is the diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues as its trace elements. Now, i need to find P, where ##P=Q^{-1}##. Is there an easier way to find ##Q^{-1}## other than finding the adjoint matrix of Q and its determinant?

Instead of using this formula to find ##Q^{-1}##: ##\frac{1}{|Q|}adj(Q)##

I'm thinking it might be easier to derive it from: ##D=Q^{-1}AQ## but i have no idea how.

Last edited:
sharks said:
OK, i think i understand the idea here.

Let ##Q = P^{-1}##, then ##Q^{-1} = P## and the problem changes to ##D=Q^{-1}AQ##
Don't you mean ##D = Q A Q^{-1}##?
, which corresponds to the standard form for the diagonal, D. Here, Q is the matrix of all 3 eigenvectors, and D is the diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues as its trace elements.

Right, except I think ##Q^{-1}## would be the matrix whose columns are the eigenvectors of A. Try writing out what PD = AP tells you in terms of the columns of P:
$$
PD =
\begin{pmatrix}
| & | & | \\
P_1 & P_2 & P_3 \\
| & | & |
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
\lambda_1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \lambda_2 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \lambda_3
\end{pmatrix}= \cdots
$$
$$
AP = A
\begin{pmatrix}
| & | & | \\
P_1 & P_2 & P_3 \\
| & | & |
\end{pmatrix} = \cdots
$$

I think you misunderstood the problem:
sharks said:
So, ##D=Q^{-1}AQ## and Q is the matrix of eigenvectors of A.

Ah, sorry I hadn't noticed you had edited your post!

Since you already know the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, just put them in a matrix and invert it using whatever method you prefer. You can use Cramer's rule, the equation for which you've listed below, or write the augemented matrix P|I and then row-reduce the left-hand side to the identity.

I don't see any shortcut using the equation ##D = Q A Q^{-1}##. Certainly you know what ##Q^{-1}## must be, but I think you just have to calculate its inverse as usual.

Edit: I think we're confusing each other about what P is and what Q is. I took P to be as in the similarity formula you listed in the OP, ##D = P^{-1} A P##, which would then make ##Q = P^{-1}## the solution you're looking for.

spamiam said:
Edit: I think we're confusing each other about what P is and what Q is. I took P to be as in the similarity formula you listed in the OP, ##D = P^{-1} A P##, which would then make ##Q = P^{-1}## the solution you're looking for.
I know. :smile: So, if i find ##Q^{-1}## then i'll know the required matrix P. According to my calculations:
[tex]Q^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 & -2 \\ 1 & 1 & 3 \\ -1 & -1 & -2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
I tested the answer and got ##QQ^{-1}=I##

Thanks for the help.

sharks said:
I know. :smile: So, if i find ##Q^{-1}## then i'll know the required matrix P. According to my calculations:
[tex]Q^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 & -2 \\ 1 & 1 & 3 \\ -1 & -1 & -2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
I tested the answer and got ##QQ^{-1}=I##

Thanks for the help.

Great! And just to make sure, you might want to calculate ##P A P^{-1}## and verify that you get the diagonal matrix D. And if it doesn't give you D, then I've succeeded in confusing you and you should see if ##P^{-1} A P## works! :tongue:

1. What is a matrix similarity transformation?

A matrix similarity transformation is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix by an invertible matrix to produce a matrix with the same geometry but potentially different values. This transformation is used to simplify or analyze matrices in various mathematical applications.

2. How is a matrix similarity transformation different from a matrix congruence transformation?

While both transformations involve multiplying a matrix by an invertible matrix, a matrix similarity transformation preserves the geometry of the original matrix while a matrix congruence transformation preserves both the geometry and the size of the matrix. In other words, a similarity transformation results in a matrix that is the same shape as the original, while a congruence transformation may result in a different shape.

3. What is the importance of matrix similarity transformation in linear algebra?

Matrix similarity transformation is important in linear algebra because it allows for the simplification and analysis of matrices. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations, diagonalizing matrices, and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. How do you perform a matrix similarity transformation?

To perform a matrix similarity transformation, you first need to find an invertible matrix that will be used to multiply the original matrix. This can be done through various methods such as Gaussian elimination or using elementary row operations. Once you have the invertible matrix, simply multiply it by the original matrix to get the transformed matrix.

5. Can any matrix be transformed into a similar matrix?

Yes, any square matrix can be transformed into a similar matrix by using an appropriate invertible matrix. However, if the matrix is not diagonalizable, the resulting matrix may not be similar but will still be equivalent under a congruence transformation.