Matrix-valued analytic function?

• Thread starter AxiomOfChoice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: The derivative is not defined at zero, so the function is not differentiable there. This means it fails to meet the requirements for analyticity, which includes being differentiable at all points in its domain. Therefore, we can conclude that T(\beta) is not analytic at \beta = \pm i.
AxiomOfChoice
Consider the matrix-valued function [itex]T(\beta): \mathbb C \to \mathscr L(\mathbb C^2)[/itex], the bounded linear operators on [itex]\mathbb C^2[/itex], given by

[tex]
T(\beta) = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & \beta \\ \beta & -1 \end{bmatrix}.
[/tex]

According to Reed-Simon, Volume 4, this is a "matrix-valued analytic function" with singularities at [itex]\beta = \pm i[/itex]. I'm confused as to how...
  1. ...we are supposed to show that [itex]T(\beta)[/itex] is analytic. The claim made in the book is that it is easier (in general) to show that a vector-valued analytic function is weakly analytic than strongly analytic, but I don't see how that is the case here.
  2. ...we are supposed to see that this function has singularities at [itex]\pm i[/itex].
Can anyone help with either of the above? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Update

It seems [itex]T(\beta)[/itex] is actually an entire matrix-valued analytic function of [itex]\beta[/itex]; it is the eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_\pm (\beta) = \pm \sqrt{\beta^2 + 1}[/itex] that have singularities at [itex]\pm i[/itex]. My question still stands, though...why are [itex]\pm i[/itex] singularities of this function? What's wrong with taking the square root of zero, which is what one winds up doing at those values?

AxiomOfChoice said:
What's wrong with taking the square root of zero, which is what one winds up doing at those values?

Nothing. But there is a problem with evaluating the derivative of the square root function at zero, and that's what causes [itex]\sqrt{\beta^2 + 1}[/itex] to fail to be analytic at [itex]\beta = \pm i[/itex].

What is a matrix-valued analytic function?

A matrix-valued analytic function is a function that maps a complex variable to a matrix of complex numbers. It is a generalization of a scalar-valued analytic function, which maps a complex variable to a single complex number.

What is the difference between a scalar-valued and a matrix-valued analytic function?

The main difference between the two is that a scalar-valued analytic function maps a complex variable to a single complex number, while a matrix-valued analytic function maps it to a matrix of complex numbers. This allows for a more complex and versatile representation of data and mathematical operations.

What are some applications of matrix-valued analytic functions?

Matrix-valued analytic functions are commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to model and analyze complex systems. They are also used in computer graphics, image processing, and machine learning to represent and manipulate data in a higher dimensional space.

How are matrix-valued analytic functions represented mathematically?

Matrix-valued analytic functions are typically represented as a power series, similar to scalar-valued analytic functions. However, the coefficients of the series are now matrices instead of numbers. This allows for the application of complex variable techniques, such as Cauchy's integral formula, to matrices.

What are the properties of matrix-valued analytic functions?

Matrix-valued analytic functions share many properties with scalar-valued analytic functions, such as holomorphicity and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. They also have additional properties related to matrix operations, such as matrix inversion, determinant, and trace. These properties make them useful for solving complex problems in various fields of science and engineering.