Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matter, Antimatter, and Micro Black holes

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    I have recently been reading Moment of Creation by James Trefil, and I have stumbled upon the question, where has all the antimatter gone? I asked myself, what if micro black holes produced by the tremendous energy at the big bang are the answer? If you have an understanding in hawking radiation then you know particle-antiparticle pairs are produced at balck holes. What if, by chance, antiparticles were absorbed by these micro black holes more than regular particles. It could explain why there is more matter than antimatter. Has this been dissproved by anyone? Is this a plausible theory?

I also posted this in the cosmology section, but it seems that not many people wander there.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Why would a BH prefer to absorb antimatter.

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    It doesnt even have to prefer, it could happen by chance. Even though there would be a 50/50 chance either way, it could just happen by chance that antimatter was absorbed more by a BH.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

A mechanism for this prefence would be necessary to lend it credibility. Black holes are equal opportunity gravity wells according to existing theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?