Matter conversion during fission

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of matter into energy during fission, specifically in the context of uranium 235. It is explained that the energy released comes from the difference in binding energy between the larger initial nucleus and the smaller nuclei formed after fission. The difference in mass is equal to the difference in binding energy, and this energy is the missing mass. The concept of rest mass and relative mass are also briefly discussed.
helmetheid
Hi all,

This is probably a newbie question - I'm a non-physicist but I did do some physics at university.

My question is, during fission, when matter is converted into energy, what is the matter/particle that is actually converted into this energy? I would imagine that the particle(s) converted into energy probably varies depending on the fission feedstock. So if we take uranium 235, for example - can anyone tell me what particle(s) are no longer present after the fission process?

Thanks,
Craig

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, helmetheid. Welcome to PF!

There are no disappearing particles. The energy comes from the difference in binding energy between one larger blob of protons and neutrons, and two smaller blobs made up the same total number of nucleons.
The two smaller blobs have all their components closer together, which allows them to be better held by the strong nuclear force, while having less positively charged protons, which additionally means the nucleus is less pulled apart by electrostatic repulsion.

Likes stoomart and mfb
Hi,
Thanks for that reply - I think I follow it.

Can I ask, if the energy released comes from the difference in binding energy, where is the mass lost from after fission?

It's my understanding that after the fission process the total mass is less than the total mass before fission. And I thought the reduction in mass is what produced the energy released through e=mc^2

Yes, that's correct. But the difference in mass = the difference in binding energy. It's the same thing.

Two more tightly bound systems have less energy = are less massive than one less tightly bound system made up of the same components.

Ok, thanks. That's really interesting. So does it follow that the binding energy has some kind of mass component itself, despite not being constituted of matter? So that a reduction in the binding energy means a reduction in mass

Here, I think I know what might be throwing you off - the sort of general common sense one acquires is that mass is something only particles ('matter') have.

Mass is intuitively understood here as one of the things that cause gravity (other being stress and momentum, but these are not important here), and the thing that resists changes in motion (inertia).

The first thing to realize is that mass as described above and energy are the same thing. One might just as well use the two interchangeably.

The second thing to realize is that mass=energy is not only a property of particles, but also of their arrangement and motion.

The last thing needed is that there is a property some particles have called 'rest mass', which is the energy 'encoded' in an isolated, motionless particle. This rest mass is just one of the components of the gravitational and inertial mass/energy described above. So as not to confuse mass and rest mass, it's best to stick to calling the former one energy (we'll do that from now on).

Now, let's take U-235 fission process (the first step only), where it spontaneously decays into a thorium-231 nucleus and an alpha particle.
The total energy (remember, that's the conventional idea of what 'mass' is) of a U-235 nucleus, ##E_{total}## is the sum of rest masses of its nucleons:
$$m_{U235, rest, total} = 92*m_{rest, proton} + 143*m_{rest, neutron}$$
plus their binding energy ##E_{binding}##. Binding energy in attractive potential is negative, so adding it makes the ##E_{total}## lower. The more tightly bound the nucleus, the more negative the energy.
So, the total energy balance in the fusion reaction is:
$$(m_{U235, rest, total} + E_{binding, U235}) = (m_{Th231, rest, total} + E_{binding, Th231}) + (m_{alpha, rest, total} + E_{binding, alpha}) + E_{released}$$
Where the rest energies of all components (protons+neutrons) of U235 equal the sum of rest energies of components of Th231 and the alpha particle (which is made of 2 protons and 2 neutrons). That is to say, both sides of the equation have the same number of protons and the same number of neutrons.
But the energy of U235 is reduced by its binding energy ##E_{binding, U235}##, which is less negative than the sum of binding energies of Thorium-231 and the alpha particle:
$$E_{binding, U235}>E_{binding, Th231} + E_{binding, alpha}$$
(remember higher binding energy means less negative)
The excess energy coming from the difference shown above is the released energy, or in other words - the mass defect. That energy is the missing mass.

Likes helmetheid
Hi,

Thanks a lot for that explanation - it was really clear. I hadn't encountered rest mass and relative mass before, so have just been reading up on them. New to me, and really, really interesting

1. What is matter conversion during fission?

Matter conversion during fission is the process of converting one type of matter, typically a heavy or unstable nucleus, into two or more smaller, more stable nuclei. This process releases a large amount of energy, which is harnessed in nuclear power plants.

2. How does matter conversion during fission work?

Matter conversion during fission occurs when a heavy nucleus, such as uranium-235, is split into two or more smaller nuclei. This is typically achieved by bombarding the nucleus with neutrons, causing it to become unstable and split apart. This process releases a significant amount of energy in the form of heat, which is used to generate electricity.

3. What is the difference between fission and fusion?

Fission and fusion are both nuclear processes that involve the conversion of matter. Fission is the splitting of a heavy nucleus into smaller nuclei, while fusion is the joining of two or more smaller nuclei to form a larger one. Fission is the process used in nuclear power plants, while fusion is the process that powers the sun and other stars.

4. What happens to the matter that is converted during fission?

The matter that is converted during fission is not destroyed, but rather transformed into smaller, more stable nuclei. This process releases a large amount of energy, which is used to generate electricity. The leftover matter, or nuclear waste, is radioactive and must be stored safely to prevent harm to the environment.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with matter conversion during fission?

While fission is a powerful and efficient source of energy, there are potential dangers associated with it. Accidents at nuclear power plants can release harmful radiation into the environment, and the disposal of nuclear waste poses long-term environmental and health risks. However, with proper safety measures and regulations in place, these risks can be minimized.