Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Max and min values -- Finding them in a data set

1. Jul 20, 2017 #1
    I have some data collected from experiment and I want to calculate the max and min values for this data.
    Please note that these data not a result of function.
    What is the best mathematical way to get the max and min without just picking them by directly observation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "have" and what by "get"?

You ask specifically of a mathematical way. So here it is, but you might be disappointed:
    Let ##\mathcal{D}## denote the set of collected data. (This mathematically means: have.)
    Then ##M := \max\{d\,\vert \, d \in \mathcal{D}\}## and ##m := \min\{d\,\vert \, d \in \mathcal{D}\}## denotes the maximum and minimum. (This mathematically means "get").

Maybe you see the difficulties with your question:
    • Where are the data taken from? ##\mathcal{D} \subseteq## ?
    • How is ##\mathcal{D}## described, i.e. is it a list, a graphic or whatever is it?
    • Are there finitely many of them? ##|\mathcal{D}| < \infty## ?
    • What is the ordering on ##\mathcal{D}## ?
    • Are there eventually algorithms to determine ##M## and ##m## ?
    • Can a order be achieved while reading the data?
    • Is it sufficient to calculate upper and lower bounds for ##M,m## ?
    • Are there uncertainties to the data?
    All these questions might depend on your experiment or might not. As long we don't know any answers to those, the formal definition of ##\mathcal{D}\; , \;M\; , \;m## above is your answer.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  4. Jul 20, 2017 #3
    Do you know how to use Excel? It has min and max functions. Or do you want to write a program and are looking for an algorithm to find the min and max?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted