Max Energy of Electron After Collision with Particle: 5.0 MeV Alpha

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Zit501
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A particle (nonrelativistic) of mass M and with kinetic energy E0 collides with an
electron at rest of mass m. Show from elementary considerations (i.e. rst year
physics) that the maximum energy of the electron after the collision is E0(4m/M).
Determine this energy for a 5.0 MeV alpha particle.


Homework Equations



E = 1/2 m V2

Pin = Pout


The Attempt at a Solution



I made v the subject of the formula in the kinetic energy equation. Then subbing this into the momentum equation just seems like a big mess. Where else should I start? or am I on the right track?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zit501! :wink:
Zit501 said:
I made v the subject of the formula in the kinetic energy equation. Then subbing this into the momentum equation just seems like a big mess. Where else should I start? or am I on the right track?

Should work …

show us what equations you get :smile:​