Max height-2 balls-1 straight up-the other horizontal at an angle? yikes

In summary, the problem involves throwing a ball straight upward and finding its maximum height after 4 seconds. A second ball is thrown at an angle of 67 degrees with the horizontal and the goal is to find the initial speed needed for it to reach the same height as the first ball. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 and the answer should be in units of m/s.
sddatt

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown straight upward and returns
to the thrower’s hand after 4 s in the air. A
second ball is thrown at an angle of 67◦ with
the horizontal.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
At what speed must the second ball be
thrown so that it reaches the same height as
the one thrown vertically? Answer in units of
m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

*****I've been working on this problem for a few days. Here's what I have so far:

This is a 2-d question. First I need to find the maximum height of the first ball (thrown straight up) then I can plug that into the second ball's equations and find the Vo(x) of the second ball.
**Will the ball that's being thrown straight up have it's maximum height at 2s (half way between the total time?)
So I would have Y=0 + 0(1)+ (+)4.9(1^2).
Then Height would be +4.9? I think that gravity COULD be + because the ball is going up...but I don't know if that even makes sense.

Then I would put the Y into my second ball's equations:
1.) Y EQN: 4.9=0+Vo(y)sin(67)(t)+4.9(t^2)
2.) X EQN: x=0 + Vo(x)cos(67)(t)+ 0
3.) Vy EQN: 0=Vo(y) + -9.8(t)
4.) Vx EQN: Vx=Vo(x) + 0

**Substitute and solve for t: t=.___s
**Plug t into X EQN: x=Vo(x)cos(37)(.__s)
Now I am missing x and the magnitude.

I really don't know what to do with this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the initial vertical velocity the first ball has. That will be the same vertical velocity your second ball has.

Hello,

First of all, great job on working through the problem so far! It looks like you have the right idea in terms of finding the maximum height of the first ball and then using that in the equations for the second ball.

To clarify, the maximum height of the first ball will occur at the halfway point of its total time in the air, which is 2 seconds. So you are correct in using t=2 seconds in the equation for the first ball's height.

Next, you are also correct in using 4.9 m/s^2 as the acceleration due to gravity, and you can use a positive sign for gravity in this case since we are considering the upward motion of the ball.

Now, for the second ball, you have correctly identified the four equations you will need to solve for its initial velocity (Vo) and total time in the air (t). One thing to note is that in the third equation, you will need to use -9.8 m/s^2 as the acceleration due to gravity since the ball is moving downward at that point.

To solve for the initial velocity (Vo) of the second ball, you can use a substitution method. First, solve the fourth equation (Vx=Vo(x)+0) for Vo(x) and then substitute that into the second equation (x=0+Vo(x)cos(67)(t)+0). This will give you an equation for x in terms of t. Then, substitute the value of t that you found for the first ball (t=2 seconds) into this equation and solve for x. This will give you the horizontal distance traveled by the second ball.

Finally, to find the initial velocity (Vo) of the second ball, you can use the first equation (4.9=0+Vo(y)sin(67)(t)+4.9(t^2)). Since you know the value of t (2 seconds) and the value of x (from the previous step), you can solve for Vo(y) using this equation.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

What is the concept of "Max height-2 balls-1 straight up-the other horizontal at an angle"?

The concept of "Max height-2 balls-1 straight up-the other horizontal at an angle" refers to a physics problem where two balls are launched at the same time from the same height. One ball is launched straight up while the other is launched horizontally at an angle.

What factors affect the maximum height of the balls?

The maximum height of the balls is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the mass of the balls may also play a role.

How do you calculate the maximum height of the balls?

The maximum height of the balls can be calculated using the equation h = v2sin2(θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Why does the horizontal ball travel a longer distance compared to the vertical ball?

The horizontal ball travels a longer distance because it has a horizontal velocity component that is not affected by gravity. The vertical ball, on the other hand, only has a vertical velocity component which is constantly influenced by gravity.

How does the maximum height and distance of the balls change if the angle of launch is increased?

If the angle of launch is increased, the maximum height of the balls will decrease while the distance traveled by the horizontal ball will increase. This is because a higher angle of launch will result in a greater horizontal velocity component and a lower vertical velocity component for the horizontal ball.