Max # of 90W 120V Light Bulbs on 20A 120V Circuit

  • Thread starter Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Soaring Crane
Messages
461
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How many 90-W, 120-V light bulbs can be connected to a 20-A, 120-V circuit without tripping the circuit breaker? (Note: This description of a light bulb gives the power it dissipates when connected to the stated potential difference; that is, a 25-W, 120-V light bulb dissipates 25 W when connected to a 120-V line.)

Homework Equations



See below.

The Attempt at a Solution




P_total = I*V = 25 W*120 V = 2400 W

On 120 V line, a 90 W, 120 V bulb has a dissipation of 90 W?

Number_bulbs = 2400 W/90W = 26.7 bulbs

So maximum is 26 bulbs?

As a check, compare current values?

I = P_total/V = 26 bulbs(90 W)/(120 V) = 19.5 A, where 19.5 A < 20.0 A

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
On 120 V line, a 90 W, 120 V bulb has a dissipation of 90 W?
Well, they already said its a 90W bulb.

Yup, your calculations are correct.

Although I wouldn't have found the number of bulbs in that way. I would simply do the following:
Isingle bulb = P/V = 90W/120V = .75A
20A/.75A = 26.6; so we can have 26 bulbs with a total current of 26*0.75A = 19.5A