Max speed of a mass on a spring given x=0

In summary, the maximum speed attained by a mass released from the x=0 position can be determined using the equation E=mgh=(kx^2)/2. By setting the forces of gravity and spring equal to each other, the kinetic energy can be calculated and combined with the potential energies to find the total energy. Conservation of energy can then be used to determine the maximum speed.
khairurraziq

Homework Statement

determin the maximum speed attained by a mass when it is released from the x=0 position

Homework Equations

E=(kx)/2
E=mgh
E=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so i assumed that when the mass is at max speed the net force is 0. so
force of gravity=force of spring
mg=-kx
since both forces are equal then both energies must be equal as will
mgh=(kx^2)/2
so one of these times 2 plus the kinetic energy must be equal to the total energy.
but
what is the total energy.
it would be something like:
mass*gravity*total extension

i have no idea where to go from here. am i on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi khairurraziq! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
khairurraziq said:
so i assumed that when the mass is at max speed the net force is 0. so
force of gravity=force of spring
mg=-kx

yes, that's correct :smile:
since both forces are equal then both energies must be equal as well

no …

use conservation of energy: PEgravity + PEspring + KE = constant

thanks,
ya i figured it out right after i posted this. it was so simple i want to slap meself!

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum speed of a mass on a spring when x=0?

The formula for calculating the maximum speed of a mass on a spring when x=0 is vmax = √(k/m)A, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass, and A is the amplitude of the oscillation.

2. How does the spring constant affect the maximum speed of a mass on a spring?

The spring constant directly affects the maximum speed of a mass on a spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which results in a higher maximum speed. Conversely, a lower spring constant means a more flexible spring and a lower maximum speed.

3. Can the maximum speed of a mass on a spring be negative?

No, the maximum speed of a mass on a spring cannot be negative. This is because the maximum speed occurs at the equilibrium point of the oscillation, where the mass briefly comes to a stop before changing direction. Therefore, the maximum speed is always a positive value.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the maximum speed on a spring?

The mass of the object does affect the maximum speed on a spring. A higher mass will result in a lower maximum speed, as it takes more energy to move a heavier object. On the other hand, a lower mass will result in a higher maximum speed.

5. Is the maximum speed of a mass on a spring affected by the amplitude of oscillation?

Yes, the maximum speed of a mass on a spring is affected by the amplitude of oscillation. The greater the amplitude, the higher the maximum speed will be. This is because a larger amplitude means the mass will have to travel a greater distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a higher speed.