Max Velocity for a Car over a Speed Bump in Uniform Circular Motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
astrokat11
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm doing problems modeling particles in uniform circular motion and one is about a car going over a speed bump. I figured out the problem, but then it asks "What is the max speed the car can have as it passes this highest point without losing contact with the road?" I'm not sure what this part of the question is asking. Can anyone rephrase it for me or lead me in the right direction? I don't think it's a friction thing since it's not sliding, would this be over coming the maximum radial force?
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to maintain contact with the road as the car goes over the bump there must be enough force to provide the needed centripetal acceleration. The faster you go, the greater the centripetal acceleration and thus the greater force required. What forces act on the car as it goes over the bump? What's the maximum net downward force on the car?
 
Ah, well the only downward force is gravity, so I just need to find the max velocity while mg is greater than the centripetal accel. I think I can figure that out then. Thanks