Maxima, Minima complex function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the norm of a complex function using the formula |a+ib|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}. The individual steps for finding the norm are also mentioned.
heinerL
Hey

my problem is that I am unable to calculate the absolute value of the following function:

[tex]f(z)=\bar{z}(z-2)-2\Re z[/tex] wherase [tex] z=x+iy [/tex]

What i did was:

[tex]=|z|^2-2\bar{z}-2\Re z=x^2+y^2-2x+2iy-2x=x^2+y^2+2yi-4x[/tex]

and how should i calculate the absoulte value of this function??

Because i should find all maxima and minima of |f(x)|, which is not so difficult, i hope after i got the abs()!

Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are looking for the "absolute value", but rather the norm:

[tex]|a+ib|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

yes, you're right, i mean the norm [tex]|a+ib|= \sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] but how should i proceed?

Square the real and imaginary parts of your expression, add them together and take the square root of the result.

you mean that:

[tex]\abs(x^2+y^2-4x+2iy)=\sqrt{(x^2+y^2-4x)^2+4y^2}[/tex]

that (x^2+y^2-4x) is the real part and 2iy the imaginary part?

In [tex]a+ib[/tex], a is the real part and b is the imaginary part. That is, don't include the imaginary unit i in the imaginary part.

And yes, you're right :smile:

What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that takes a complex number as its input and produces a complex number as its output. It can be represented as f(z), where z is a complex number.

What are maxima and minima in a complex function?

Maxima and minima in a complex function refer to the points where the function reaches its highest and lowest values, respectively. These points can be identified by finding the critical points of the function, where the derivative is equal to zero.

How do I find the maxima and minima of a complex function?

To find the maxima and minima of a complex function, you can use the first and second derivative tests. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points and determining if they are points of maxima or minima. The second derivative test involves evaluating the second derivative at the critical points to determine if they are points of concavity and whether they are maxima or minima.

Why are maxima and minima important in complex functions?

Maxima and minima in complex functions are important because they can help us understand the behavior of the function and identify important features such as the maximum and minimum values, as well as the points of inflection. They can also be used to optimize the function and solve real-world problems related to complex quantities.

Can a complex function have multiple maxima or minima?

Yes, a complex function can have multiple maxima or minima. This can occur when the function has more than one critical point, and the second derivative test reveals that each critical point is a point of maxima or minima. Additionally, the function may have a saddle point, which is a point of inflection that is neither a maximum nor a minimum.