Maximum Force Applied to Brakes

In summary: The heavier the truck and the faster it is moving, the more distance it will need to stop.In summary, the conversation discussed the stopping distance of a light weight pickup truck when traveling at 5 m/s and using maximum brake force. It was then explored how the stopping distance would change if the truck was loaded with twice the mass and if it was traveling at 15 m/s. The equations used were W stopping = F brakes x d wheel rolls forward and F=ma. It was concluded that the stopping distance is dependent on the mass and velocity of the truck and that maximum brake force remains constant.
hbrinn

Homework Statement

Suppose you are driving a light weight pickup truck, and it takes 15m of stopping distance to stop when you are traveling 5 m/s, using max. force from the brakes.

1. Suppose you really load up the truck, so that the mass of the loaded truck is twice that of the unloaded truck. How much distance will be required to stop then, starting from 5 m/s again. Justify your answer in writing.

2. Now the truck is unloaded again. How much distance will be needed to stop , again using max brake force, if you are moving at 15 m/s to begin with? Justify your answer in writing.

Homework Equations

W stopping, more = F brakes, max x d wheel rolls forward, more
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

When you apply the brakes in your automobile, I know that caliper ‘pinchers’ apply force to your (turning) wheels, which produces friction when the wheels and calipers rub each other. I know that this friction converts the KE of your moving car into heat energy. When all the KE energy is changed into heat, the car has stopped.

The ‘stopping work’, W stopping = F brakes x d wheel rolls forward .

I know there is a maximum to the force applied by your brake calipers, F max . More force not possible I guess. But you can do more work even if you have maxed out on force by the wheels rolling forward more, this increases the d distance. So, more stopping work gets done.

This is as far as I have gotten in regards to both problems. I am really just completely lost. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hbrinn, welcome to PF.
Maximum brake force is independent of mass of the truck and its velocity.
So 1/2*m*v^2 = F*d...(1)
Use this equation to solve the problem.
The distance moved by the truck before it comes to rest depends on the mass of the truck and its velocity.

1. What is the maximum force that can be applied to brakes?

The maximum force that can be applied to brakes is determined by several factors such as the size and type of the vehicle, the weight of the vehicle, and the type of brake system. Generally, the maximum force applied to brakes can range from 500 to 1200 pounds.

2. How is the maximum force applied to brakes determined?

The maximum force applied to brakes is determined by conducting brake tests on the vehicle. These tests measure the deceleration of the vehicle under various braking conditions and the maximum force is then calculated based on these results.

3. What happens if the maximum force is exceeded when applying the brakes?

If the maximum force is exceeded when applying the brakes, it can lead to brake fade, which is a decrease in braking effectiveness. This can result in longer stopping distances and potentially lead to brake failure if the brakes are continuously applied with excessive force.

4. Can the maximum force applied to brakes be increased?

Yes, the maximum force applied to brakes can be increased by upgrading to a larger and more powerful brake system. However, it is important to note that the maximum force should not exceed the braking capacity of the vehicle as it can lead to safety hazards.

5. How often should the maximum force applied to brakes be checked?

The maximum force applied to brakes should be checked during routine brake inspections, which are typically recommended every 10,000 to 15,000 miles. However, if you notice any changes in braking performance, it is important to have the brakes checked immediately to ensure they are functioning properly.