1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum height of baseball, given total flight time.

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question i need to answer is: A baseball has a flight time of 7 seconds. What maximum height did it reach? (ignore air resistance.)

2. Relevant equations
    I need to use equation 1 and equation 5 of the constant acceleration equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have figured out the initial upward velocity to be 34.3 seconds and now i dont know where to go from here!! The answer for maximum height reached is 60.03m but i dont know how to get to this number. Please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Can someone please help!!

Since every list of equations is different, we have no idea which equations are "1" and "5."

I am assuming this problem is for a straight up flight. What is the instantaneous velocity at the top of the path? If the entire flight took 7 seconds, how long did it take to get to the top? Do you know the rate of acceleration? Do you know three of the variables for the flight to the top of the path? (yes)

4. Nov 3, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the upward initial velocity is 34.3 seconds, you might need more than just a tweak to finish this problem.

5. Nov 3, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

once you have that initial vertical velocity, you can use which ever of the 5 equations that include displacment, since you know the initial vel, the final vel [zero - it is at maximum height] the time [3.5 seconds going up, 3.5 coming back down], and the acceleration [9.8 down]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook