Maximum of the First Moment of Area

In summary: Therefore, the first moment of area above and below the neutral axis will be equal in magnitude, but opposite in sign, resulting in a total Q of zero.In summary, Q is not zero at the neutral axis and is actually maximum at this point. The method for determining the neutral axis involves summing moment areas and dividing by the total area, resulting in a first moment of area above and below the neutral axis that are equal in magnitude but opposite in sign, leading to a total Q of zero.
a1234
I am reading about beams under distributed loading and shear stresses and needed to use the equation τ = VQ/It, where Q is the first moment of area.

I understand that Q is zero about the neutral axis, and that this is, in fact, how the neutral axis is defined. The first moment of area above the neutral axis is Q, and that below the neutral axis is -Q.

However, I've also read that the maximum value of Q occurs at the neutral axis. What I don't understand is how this is compatible with the fact that Q is 0 about the neutral axis.

It would be great if somebody could clarify. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
a1234 said:
I am reading about beams under distributed loading and shear stresses and needed to use the equation τ = VQ/It, where Q is the first moment of area.

I understand that Q is zero about the neutral axis, and that this is, in fact, how the neutral axis is defined. The first moment of area above the neutral axis is Q, and that below the neutral axis is -Q.

However, I've also read that the maximum value of Q occurs at the neutral axis. What I don't understand is how this is compatible with the fact that Q is 0 about the neutral axis.

It would be great if somebody could clarify. Thanks in advance.
Q is not zero about the Neutral Axis, in fact, it is typically maximum at the Neutral Axis . In order to calculate shear stress at the Neutral Axis, Q is the area above it times the distance from the centroid of that area to it. It is also the area below it times the distance from the centroid of that area to it, taken as a positive value.
You are confusing this with the method to determine the neutral axis, where you sum moment areas of the various areas of the cross section about the bottom of the cross section, then divide that result by the total area of the cross section to get the distance to the neutral axis from the bottom of that section

What is the "Maximum of the First Moment of Area"?

The maximum of the first moment of area, also known as the centroid, is a geometric property of a shape that represents the point at which the shape would balance if it were placed on a pivot. It is a measure of the distribution of mass or area within a shape.

How is the "Maximum of the First Moment of Area" calculated?

The maximum of the first moment of area is calculated by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of all the points that make up the shape. This can be done using integration or by breaking the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and finding the centroid of each of those shapes.

What is the significance of the "Maximum of the First Moment of Area" in engineering?

The maximum of the first moment of area is an important concept in engineering as it helps in determining the stability and strength of structures. It is used in designing beams, columns, and other load-bearing structures to ensure that they can withstand the forces acting on them.

How does the "Maximum of the First Moment of Area" affect the design of a structure?

The location of the maximum of the first moment of area affects the design of a structure as it determines the position of the neutral axis, which is the line that experiences no stress when a load is applied. This information is crucial in designing structures that can withstand the expected loads and forces.

Can the "Maximum of the First Moment of Area" be outside the boundaries of a shape?

Yes, the maximum of the first moment of area can be outside the boundaries of a shape. This can happen when the shape is irregular or has holes, causing the centroid to be located outside the physical boundaries. However, the centroid will always lie within the area enclosed by the shape.