1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum speed on conservative forces problem

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. A girl swings on a playground swing in such a way that at her highest point she is 3 m from the ground, while at her lowest point she is 0.5m from the ground. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. What is her maximum speed? Answer in units of m/s.

2. 1/2mVf^2 + mgyf = 1/2mVi^2 + mgyi

I made initial velocity to equal zero.
    3. [Vf= (mghi - mghf)/ (1/2m)]^(1/2)

When I do this... I endup square rooting a negative number. What am I doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you use for initial and final height?

Is the velocity actually zero at the initial height?
  4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    I'm using .5 as her initial height and 3 as her final height. Is that my problem? And velocity... I just assumed... that may be wrong. (Thanks for the quick reply by the way!)
  5. Oct 12, 2008 #4
    OOh I got it! I did this:

You sparked my thinking. Thank you.
  6. Oct 12, 2008 #5
    The problem mentions nothing about air resistance so we can assume that our forces our conservative. This meas that the sum of your forces at position 1 (her highest point) is equal to the sum of the forces at position 2 (her lowest point).

KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2

You can elimitate your KE1 because at her highest point the girls velocity is 0.

This leaves us with PE1 = KE2 + PE2 We expand this formula to:

mgh1 = (1/2)m[v(squared)] + mgh2

this can be simplified by canceling out all of your masses.

gh1 = (1/2)[v(squared)] + gh2

Now just plug in your values and solve for your velocity.

Edit: Nevermind, you beat me to it.
  7. Oct 12, 2008 #6
    Oh thank you for going ahead and writting up the solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?