Maybe a Financial Math section?

• Thread starter the_force
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests the idea of creating a sub-forum for financial math or financial engineering in the forum. The person proposing this idea has the credentials to moderate it but lacks the necessary number of posts. Other members suggest starting a thread about it in the general math section to gauge interest and see if there are enough people to participate. The idea is met with enthusiasm and the person proposing it expresses their willingness to help out as much as possible. The conversation also touches upon the possibility of becoming an "Advisor" or "Homework Helper" and earning a ribbon for consistently accurate and helpful posts. Ultimately, it is suggested to start a thread in the general math section to introduce and discuss the topic of financial mathematics.
the_force
I was thinking it would be a good idea if this forum has a little sub-forum for financial math or financial engineering?

We could include algorithms, and advanced models and a whole bunch of things that are related to financial math.

I have the credentials to mod it, but of course don't have the posts :).

Anyways, just a suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the basic problems, not enough posts on the subject, so it doesn't seem necessary to create a sub-forum yet.

It's great that we get an expert on financial maths here; perhaps you could pique the interest by posting a tutorial/survey of the topic?

Good suggestion, sounds interesting, thumbs up!

the_force said:
I was thinking it would be a good idea if this forum has a little sub-forum for financial math or financial engineering?

We could include algorithms, and advanced models and a whole bunch of things that are related to financial math.

I have the credentials to mod it, but of course don't have the posts :).

Anyways, just a suggestion.
The best thing to do would be to start a thread about it and see if you can find enough people to participate. Getting a new specialty area going may take awhile for enough people to find it and participate. By posting a useful tidbit every few days you can keep your thread active long enough to test the waters.

Hey

Thanks to both of you :)

I think this would be a great addition to PF, since there are no good forums out there on Financial math. I started my own financial/hedge/risk management forum, but it never took off. :cry: lol

Maybe insted of a Mod, I could be an "Advisor" or "Homework Helper" like other people have in here :)

Thanks again,

EDIT: EVO - That is a good idea - Can you or a mod give me some guidelines, and what section would it be best in? :)

the_force said:
Maybe insted of a Mod, I could be an "Advisor" or "Homework Helper" like other people have in here :)
Send me $50,000 in dark chocolate and a ribbon is yours. :tongue2:

Seriously, those ribbons are awarded to members that have a history of consistently accurate, helpful posts. People have to earn them, so you have something to look forward to. :smile:

Evo said:
Send me $50,000 in dark chocolate and a ribbon is yours. :tongue2:

Seriously, those ribbons are awarded to members that have a history of consistently accurate, helpful posts. People have to earn them, so you have something to look forward to. :smile:

:rofl: I'll send it right over

Well, if this thing happens, I plan to help out as much as possible! I really look forward to it :)

Just want to get some mods to reply and tell me what I should do to test the waters.

Thanks again, take care.

You could always start a thread in the general maths forum, and aim to write it as a sort of introduction/discussion thread about financial mathematics. If it fits better in another section, then a mentor will move it.

cristo said:
You could always start a thread in the general maths forum, and aim to write it as a sort of introduction/discussion thread about financial mathematics. If it fits better in another section, then a mentor will move it.

That sounds like a good place to me.

Isn't financial math just an application of other math?

Hey

Ok, I started a Post in the General Math section. Is that good?

Thanks,
TF

1. What is financial mathematics?

Financial mathematics is a field of mathematics that focuses on the application of mathematical methods to financial problems. It involves the use of mathematical models and techniques to analyze financial data and make informed decisions about investments and financial risks.

2. What topics are typically covered in a financial math section?

The topics covered in a financial math section may include basic arithmetic and algebra, time value of money, interest rates, annuities, present and future values, risk and return, portfolio theory, and options and derivatives.

3. Why is financial math important?

Financial math is important because it helps individuals and companies make informed financial decisions. It allows for the analysis of complex financial data and the evaluation of potential risks and returns, which can ultimately lead to more profitable investments.

4. What types of careers can you pursue with a background in financial math?

A background in financial math can lead to various careers in finance, such as investment banking, financial analysis, risk management, financial planning, and actuarial science. It can also be beneficial for careers in other industries, such as business, economics, and data analytics.

5. What skills do you need to excel in financial math?

To excel in financial math, you need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including algebra, calculus, and statistics. You should also have a good understanding of financial concepts and be able to apply mathematical models and techniques to real-world financial problems. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also essential for success in this field.