Maybe a Financial Math section?

• Thread starter the_force
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was thinking it would be a good idea if this forum has a little sub-forum for financial math or financial engineering?

We could include algorithms, and advanced models and a whole bunch of things that are related to financial math.

I have the credentials to mod it, but of course don't have the posts :).

Anyways, just a suggestion.

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
That's the basic problems, not enough posts on the subject, so it doesn't seem necessary to create a sub-forum yet.

It's great that we get an expert on financial maths here; perhaps you could pique the interest by posting a tutorial/survey of the topic?

radou
Homework Helper
Good suggestion, sounds interesting, thumbs up!

Evo
Mentor
I was thinking it would be a good idea if this forum has a little sub-forum for financial math or financial engineering?

We could include algorithms, and advanced models and a whole bunch of things that are related to financial math.

I have the credentials to mod it, but of course don't have the posts :).

Anyways, just a suggestion.
The best thing to do would be to start a thread about it and see if you can find enough people to participate. Getting a new specialty area going may take awhile for enough people to find it and participate. By posting a useful tidbit every few days you can keep your thread active long enough to test the waters.

Hey

Thanks to both of you :)

I think this would be a great addition to PF, since there are no good forums out there on Financial math. I started my own financial/hedge/risk management forum, but it never took off. :cry: lol

Maybe insted of a Mod, I could be an "Advisor" or "Homework Helper" like other people have in here :)

Thanks again,

EDIT: EVO - That is a good idea - Can you or a mod give me some guidelines, and what section would it be best in? :)

Evo
Mentor
Maybe insted of a Mod, I could be an "Advisor" or "Homework Helper" like other people have in here :)
Send me $50,000 in dark chocolate and a ribbon is yours. :tongue2:

Seriously, those ribbons are awarded to members that have a history of consistently accurate, helpful posts. People have to earn them, so you have something to look forward to. :smile:

Send me $50,000 in dark chocolate and a ribbon is yours. :tongue2:

Seriously, those ribbons are awarded to members that have a history of consistently accurate, helpful posts. People have to earn them, so you have something to look forward to. :smile:
:rofl: I'll send it right over

Well, if this thing happens, I plan to help out as much as possible! I really look forward to it :)

Just want to get some mods to reply and tell me what I should do to test the waters.

Thanks again, take care.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You could always start a thread in the general maths forum, and aim to write it as a sort of introduction/discussion thread about financial mathematics. If it fits better in another section, then a mentor will move it.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You could always start a thread in the general maths forum, and aim to write it as a sort of introduction/discussion thread about financial mathematics. If it fits better in another section, then a mentor will move it.
That sounds like a good place to me.

Isn't financial math just an application of other math?

Hey

Ok, I started a Post in the General Math section. Is that good?

Thanks,
TF