Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maybe a Financial Math section?

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    I was thinking it would be a good idea if this forum has a little sub-forum for financial math or financial engineering?

We could include algorithms, and advanced models and a whole bunch of things that are related to financial math.

I have the credentials to mod it, but of course don't have the posts :).

Anyways, just a suggestion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That's the basic problems, not enough posts on the subject, so it doesn't seem necessary to create a sub-forum yet.

It's great that we get an expert on financial maths here; perhaps you could pique the interest by posting a tutorial/survey of the topic?

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Good suggestion, sounds interesting, thumbs up!

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The best thing to do would be to start a thread about it and see if you can find enough people to participate. Getting a new specialty area going may take awhile for enough people to find it and participate. By posting a useful tidbit every few days you can keep your thread active long enough to test the waters.

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5
    Hey

Thanks to both of you :)

I think this would be a great addition to PF, since there are no good forums out there on Financial math. I started my own financial/hedge/risk management forum, but it never took off. :cry: lol

Maybe insted of a Mod, I could be an "Advisor" or "Homework Helper" like other people have in here :)

Thanks again,

EDIT: EVO - That is a good idea - Can you or a mod give me some guidelines, and what section would it be best in? :)

7. Jan 29, 2007 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Send me $50,000 in dark chocolate and a ribbon is yours. :tongue2:

Seriously, those ribbons are awarded to members that have a history of consistently accurate, helpful posts. People have to earn them, so you have something to look forward to. :smile:

8. Jan 29, 2007 #7
    :rofl: I'll send it right over

Well, if this thing happens, I plan to help out as much as possible! I really look forward to it :)

Just want to get some mods to reply and tell me what I should do to test the waters.

Thanks again, take care.

9. Jan 29, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could always start a thread in the general maths forum, and aim to write it as a sort of introduction/discussion thread about financial mathematics. If it fits better in another section, then a mentor will move it.

10. Jan 29, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like a good place to me.

Isn't financial math just an application of other math?

11. Jan 29, 2007 #10
    Hey

Ok, I started a Post in the General Math section. Is that good?

Thanks,
    TF

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?