Mayor C. Ray Nagin apologized Tuesday

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ray
In summary, Nagin seems to be in over his head and is desperate for anything to save him from the negative media attention he's receiving.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA -- Mayor C. Ray Nagin apologized Tuesday for a Martin Luther King Day speech in which he predicted that New Orleans would be a "chocolate" city again and said "God was mad at America..."[continued]
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0601180052jan18,1,1331355.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

This makes me wonder. Is this guy losing it or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We had the 'is he crazy or just stressed?' conversation a number of times during and immediately after the Katrina crisis. The consensus at the time (I was in the minority) was that he was just stressed. He's making his position on the issue much clearer now...

Actually, now the question becomes: is he a racist and crazy, just crazy, or just a racist?

Last edited:
I heard his rather lame attempt at covering his butt on this.
Paraphrased "When you make chocolate you take dark chocolate, mix it with some WHITE cream, and then you have a delicious drink. See?"
Uh huh...

russ_watters said:
We had the 'is he crazy or just stressed?' conversation a number of times during and immediately after the Katrina crisis. The consensus at the time (I was in the minority) was that he was just stressed. He's making his position on the issue much clearer now...
Actually, now the question becomes: is he a racist and crazy, just crazy, or just a racist?
Whatever the reason, he's an apallingly pathetic mayor. I don't know if I thought he was crazy or stressed, I wasn't really thinking about the reason he was falling apart during Katrina, just that he was cowering and crying rather than leading.

Is he racist? I think so. Is he crazy on top of that? I don't know. He's definitely inept at the least.

Sounds like Pat Robertson to me.

Boy, it would be entertaining to lock the two of them in a room together for a while... :rofl:

Give the guy a break: he's mayor; he does what every mayor of NO (or any other community) before him has done, sit on his butt; he gets the word a Cat 5 is headed his way; he knows he's behind Cat 4 levees; he doesn't know they were barely built to Cat 3 specs; he knows it's time to run; he knows the only evacuation plans in place to implement are 50 years out of date; he does the human thing, nothing, and hopes it turns into another weather service false alarm; he got his butt bitten just as badly as a butt can be bitten, and no worse than anyone else in his position would have been bitten.

He's expecting process servers, warrants, subpoenas, "the wrath of God," and who knows what else to land on him any day, and the suspense is driving him just a little bit off center.

Relief for Nagin, at last. Ann Coulter opened her mouth and claimed the crown as America's Stupidest Person.
Coulter said:
: "We need somebody to put rat poisoning in Justice Stevens' creme brulee."

Pat Robertson needs to kick it in gear if he's going to keep up. Calling for someone to murder a US Supreme Court Justice tops calling for someone to murder a foreign leader.

Has politics finally reached the level of "Gilligan's Island"?

1. What did Mayor C. Ray Nagin apologize for?

Mayor C. Ray Nagin apologized on Tuesday for his handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

2. Why did Mayor C. Ray Nagin apologize now?

Mayor C. Ray Nagin apologized now because he is facing a new trial for corruption charges and he wants to show remorse for his actions during the hurricane.

3. Did Mayor C. Ray Nagin face any consequences for his actions during Hurricane Katrina?

Yes, Mayor C. Ray Nagin was found guilty in 2014 on multiple counts of bribery, fraud, and money laundering related to his time as mayor during Hurricane Katrina.

4. Has Mayor C. Ray Nagin apologized before for his actions during Hurricane Katrina?

Yes, Mayor C. Ray Nagin has apologized before, most notably during his 2014 trial, where he stated, "I want to apologize to the citizens of New Orleans."

5. Did Mayor C. Ray Nagin's apology have any impact on the people of New Orleans?

It is difficult to say definitively, but some people in New Orleans have stated that they appreciate Mayor C. Ray Nagin's apology and see it as a step towards closure and healing from the trauma of Hurricane Katrina.