Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

McCain: Growing smaller by the day

1. May 13, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This morning on Meet the Press, early into the interview McCain again states the case that Iraq is different than Vietnam - that if we left Vietnam, no one was going to follow us home.

I understand this sort of nonsense coming from Bush as he is either a pathological liar or delusional, but this is an outright lie and McCain knows it. We were led into Vietnam based on fear of expansionism and world domination by the Soviet Union via the Domino Effect. We felt no less threatened then than now. And unlike the terrorists who want to get A nuclear weapon, the Soviets already had thousands with fully capable delivery systems by the time Vietnam was an issue.

Tell me it will be bad if we leave, or tell me that WWIII is a certainty if we leave, but don't lie to me when I know better.

McCain goes on to state that just as the people in Iraq want us to leave Iraq, a majority here in the US want us to leave, but this doesn't matter. We have democratically elected governments and so ends the role of the people.

So much for Captain America.

Edit: Right at the end, when asked about his age and former claim that in '08 he would be too old to run for office, he claims to work 24-7s. Clearly this can't be true, and I think I even heard Russert chuckle in the background. This tells me that McCain is now a man who is like Bush and his buddies: He says whatever sounds good.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2007 #2
    McCain's just throwing everything out there because he knows this is his last shot at the presidency. I think he truly believes he can win over Bush's base (that ~20% of the people that would give Bush a good approval rating no matter what he does) and still appeal to moderates and some dems. But the name of the game now is winning the GOP nomination and that's why, I think, he's taking such a stand. In the process, he's just eroding all of the support from 'classic' McCain supporters. He's digging his own grave.

I don't know what's worse: if he's doing this all for political reasons (the Straight Talk Express has derailed) or if he really believes in what he's saying.

4. May 15, 2007 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

McCain is really starting to strike me as moderately insane. He not only says unreasonable things that I wouldn't have imagined him saying a few years ago, but his facial expressions and the weird tics he has remind me of a film android trying to fake humanity. He's like Roy from Bladerunner: everything is a little strained and exaggerated.

5. May 15, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

McCain's not crazy - just dishonest like the current administration. They know that they can get some level of support by selling fear and xenophobia, and they do it quite effectively. There is a segment of the population that swallow those lies hook, line, and sinker, and once they accept the porpaganda as truth, they are often quite willing to try to shout down and silence people with more rational views.

6. May 19, 2007 #5
    I agree, I really liked him in the last election, but now I would never think of voting for him, I really don't trust him and think he's a bit loony.

7. May 19, 2007 #6

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes, oh yes, his years actually out there in the S. China Sea flying off flaming carriers and imprisoned in the Hanoi Hilton made him unstable, but fortunately we have you here unfeathered on this internet forum to present the case of the sane and enlightened, and to diagnose his facial expressions.

8. May 19, 2007 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Wait, McKain isn't comedian? I thought this was all a joke.

But then, I thought that about W too... :/

9. May 19, 2007 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Well, I wasn't trying to diagnose him, but if I were, I'd say it was old age making him crazy. He came across as perfectly normal back in the day, including when he returned from the South China Sea.

10. May 20, 2007 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That has crossed my mind - perhaps things aren't quite working right anymore. I still admire him for much of what he has done in the past, and I mean politically, not just in VN, but of late I hardly recognize him.

11. May 20, 2007 #10
    I think the moment he really started to raise eyebrows to most people was when he spoke at Falwell's college last year after denouncing the man a few years earlier. As Jon Stewart noted, he descended into 'crazy base world'.

12. May 20, 2007 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We can't base a decision on a person's past performance. Many good people lose their minds as they grow older. My ex father in law was the most sane and grounded person I knew. Now he lives in a nursing home and thinks government spies are watching and recording his every move, sometimes he thinks he's back in WWII.

13. May 21, 2007 #12
  14. May 21, 2007 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

Of course, agreed. The gist of the thread (so far) however was hardly one strict evidence based decision making. It was more of "McCain said X which I disagree with, plus I saw him on TV once w/ some odd facial tics, therefore McCain is insane, a liar, blah, blah." It is not a serious critique. Seriousness is a relative thing, and so I set out to draw attention to the fact that relative to the above posters, Sen. McCain is a serious man esp. with respect to matters of armed conflict. One may say he's wrong, but he deserves a serious response - at least from US citizens.

15. May 21, 2007 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. May 21, 2007 #15
    I suspect McCain hits the vodka on the job. Some of his comments just come off as someone who has had a few shots and doesn't give a damn.

17. May 27, 2007 #16
    http://www.slate.com/id/2164277/

Just what the bleep happened to this guy. Did a microchip malfunctioned in his brain? He is mutating from a once was to a never is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?