1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

McGill-Honours Math and Physics

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    Hi, Im currently completing my DEC in Cegep and I'm looking forward to pursue my study in physics and math. Since Laval don't offer Math and Phys program, I'm considering McGill honours program. Sadly for me, on their website they don't give a precise R-Score for the admission to this honours programs. So if anyone could tell me what they mean by ''completion of the usual course with high standing'' (like under or above 30 of R-Score) it would be very appreciated.

And also, is Université Laval as bad as ive heard for theoritical physics?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2
    McGill tends to have inflated R-Score requirements--ask around at your Cegep--or call McGill, they should help. I did my first degree there and the general rule is expect an R-Score roughly 3-5 points higher than everywhere else. I believe the requirement is about 26 at Concordia so around 30 sounds about right.

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    Hi q123,

From McGill's website: http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/standards/cegep/ [Broken]

You need to check under the sciences category (sounds like you need an R-score of at least 27).

As for Laval, I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Dec 12, 2011 #4
    I believe that only applies to the regular program.

6. Dec 12, 2011 #5
    Well, considering that I've heard of people with 37 and 39 R-scores getting refused from McGill's medicine program... I'd say 30 is maybe a little low for honors. At least 32 should be good.

7. Dec 13, 2011 #6
    So if I average 35 for the Math,Chem an Phys class, I got a chance ?

8. Dec 13, 2011 #7
    Depends, what;s your overall R-score? Good? Average? They don't just look at science courses, they consider everything else too.

9. Dec 13, 2011 #8
    33 overall

10. Dec 13, 2011 #9
    I would say it's good enough (but I don't run admissions)--best of luck to you.

11. Dec 14, 2011 #10
    A 30 is at least good enough, 33 is more than good enough. This isn't med school, undergraduate math and physics isn't competitive.

12. Dec 14, 2011 #11
    I also think you'll be fine. Good luck!

13. Dec 15, 2011 #12
    Thank you for your answers :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook