MCNP - Measuring Neutron Absorption in a Moderator

In summary, a first time poster is seeking help with using MCNP to measure neutron economy in a simple geometry. They have been advised to record the number of neutrons absorbed in the moderator and are looking for the appropriate code to do so. One suggestion is to calculate the flux (f4) in the cell of interest and use a tally multiplier (f4m) to calculate absorption reaction rates. They are also warned to be careful when using tallys and are provided with a list of possible numbers to use. Additionally, another user is seeking a rebate structure for a cylinder and provides specific parameters for each cell.
Qianlong
Hello all. I'm am a first time poster but a long time visitor. I am having a little trouble that I was hoping someone far wiser and more knowledgeable than myself might be able to help with.

I've been using MCNP to investigate criticality in a simple geometry consisting of a central natural uranium sphere in a cylindrical container (i.e. a barrel). Inside the container and surrounding the sphere is a moderator, either water of graphite. I am attempting to investigate the neutron economy of the moderators. I have been told that the best way to do this is to have MCNP record how many neutrons are absorbed in the moderator. I have also been told that there should be some sort of tally to do this.

However, despite scouring over various primers and manuals until my eyes bled, I have been unable to find any such tally (or at least I have not found any tally I have thought capable of making this measurement). I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know what the code would be? I would also welcome any suggestions of better ways to investigate neutron economy of moderators, should there be one.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi...
one way to do this is to calculate flux (f4) in the cell you are interested:
for example:
f4:n 101 (were 101 is the cell number where you want to calculate flux)
If you would like to know the absorption reaction rates in that cell you then write the following tally multiplier, for example:
f4m:n -1 10 (-2:-6) this way you will calculate total absorption reaction rates (absorption+fission, since absorption (-2) in MCNP is just the capture+fissin (-6)), 10 is the number of the material in that cell and -1 is the multiplier (atom density of thet material)...you can use -1 or enter the atom density of that material...

be careful using tallys, when you calculate flux there must always be 4 the last number...
you can use the following numbers...
f04, f14, f24, f34,...

I hope this will help...

best regards

Hello every body
i want rebate structure for cylinder as
110 5 -2.42 (121 -124 -123 ) u=1
111 0 (124 -122 -123 )#110 u=1
112 2 -2.699 (125 -126 -127 ) fill=1
113 like 112 but trcl=(0 5.7 0 )
c extra
121 pz -17.088
122 pz 3.3
123 cz 1
124 pz 2
125 pz -17.508
126 pz 3.8
127 cz 1.5

What is MCNP?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing the transport of particles, such as neutrons, through various materials. It is commonly used in nuclear engineering and radiation physics research.

How does MCNP measure neutron absorption in a moderator?

MCNP uses a Monte Carlo simulation method to track individual neutrons as they interact with the moderator material. The code takes into account the energy and direction of the neutron, as well as the properties of the moderator material, to determine the probability of absorption or scattering of the neutron.

What is a moderator and why is it important in neutron absorption?

A moderator is a material, often water or graphite, that is used to slow down fast neutrons to thermal energies. This is important because thermal neutrons are more likely to be absorbed by surrounding materials, such as fuel in a nuclear reactor, causing nuclear reactions to occur.

What types of materials can be used as moderators in MCNP?

MCNP has the capability to simulate a variety of moderator materials, including water, graphite, heavy water, and various metal alloys. The user can also input custom properties for a specific material if necessary.

What are the limitations of using MCNP for neutron absorption measurements?

While MCNP is a powerful tool for simulating neutron transport, it is still a numerical approximation and may not perfectly represent real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the input parameters and assumptions made by the user. Therefore, experimental validation is still necessary to verify the results obtained from MCNP simulations.