Thermal Neutron Absorption Rate in Water?

In summary: N the no. of atoms/nuclei involved can also be calculated using avogadro number and density of water.
bran_1

Homework Statement

"The 2200 m/s flux in an ordinary water reactor is 1.5*10^13 neutrons/cm^2*s. At what rate are the thermal neutrons absorbed by the water?"

Homework Equations

(unsure)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that absorption of a thermal neutron (a neutron in thermal equilibrium) is a type of radiative capture, and is therefore exothermic and considered an absorption reaction.

Where I'm stuck is how I can relate this information to the flux at the given neutron energy (velocity), as I don't see how I can get anywhere with the information given.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
bran_1 said:
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

you must get a relation between the rate of absorption and the generated flux of neutrons in water medium in say a reactor..

pl. consult your textbook.

i think the relation ship will involve the 'mean free path of absorption' and
for water, heavy water, graphite its given in nuclear reactor data table.

drvrm said:
you must get a relation between the rate of absorption and the generated flux of neutrons in water medium in say a reactor..

pl. consult your textbook.

i think the relation ship will involve the 'mean free path of absorption' and
for water, heavy water, graphite its given in nuclear reactor data table.

I have consulted it, it doesn't seem to elaborate beyond the definition of the mean free path. There is nothing mentioned about the mean free path of absorption

bran_1 said:
I have consulted it, it doesn't seem to elaborate beyond the definition of the mean free path. There is nothing mentioned about the mean free path of absorption
i have seen discussion in the following reference...<.http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/51/jresv51n4p203_a1b.pdf >i think you can use the introduction to understand and apply the process of neutron absorption in water

drvrm said:
i have seen discussion in the following reference...<.http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/51/jresv51n4p203_a1b.pdf >i think you can use the introduction to understand and apply the process of neutron absorption in water

So based on that:

absorption = n * v / lambda ,
lambda = 1 / sigma,
sigma = lowercase_sigma * N,
phi = n * v = flux

I'm given the flux, but how would I get lowercase_sigma? Also, I know N to be the atom density, so how does that change for a molecule vs an atom, since the units are in neutrons/cm^3?

bran_1 said:
I'm given the flux, but how would I get lowercase_sigma? Also, I know N to be the atom density, so how does that change for a molecule vs an atom, since the units are in neutrons/cm^3?

if you wish to have cross section for neutron absorption then you can use the absorption data .
moreover N the no. of atoms/nuclei involved can also be calculated using avogadro number and density of water.

you may see a text (ref given below) which discusses the shielding and the variation of cross sections with neutron energy
<http://mragheb.com/NPRE 402 ME 405 Nuclear Power Engineering/Neutron Cross Sections.pdf>

1. What is thermal neutron absorption rate in water?

Thermal neutron absorption rate in water refers to the rate at which thermal neutrons are absorbed by water molecules. This is an important aspect to consider in nuclear reactor design and radiation shielding calculations.

2. How is the thermal neutron absorption rate in water measured?

The thermal neutron absorption rate in water is typically measured using a neutron detector, such as a scintillation counter or a solid-state detector. The detector is placed in a water-filled container and the number of neutrons absorbed by the water is recorded over a specific period of time.

3. What factors affect the thermal neutron absorption rate in water?

The thermal neutron absorption rate in water is affected by several factors, including the water temperature, the composition of the water, and the presence of other substances in the water that may absorb or scatter neutrons.

4. How does the thermal neutron absorption rate in water impact nuclear reactor operation?

The thermal neutron absorption rate in water is a critical factor in nuclear reactor operation. If the absorption rate is too high, it can lead to a decrease in reactor efficiency and may require additional fuel to maintain the desired level of neutron flux. If the absorption rate is too low, it can lead to an uncontrolled increase in reactor power, which can be dangerous.

5. What are the potential uses of thermal neutron absorption rate in water?

The thermal neutron absorption rate in water has several potential uses, including in nuclear reactor design and safety calculations, radiation shielding design, and environmental monitoring for nuclear facilities. It can also be used in research to study the properties of water and the behavior of neutrons in different environments.