ME PhD applications from physics background with 3.72 GPA and 1300 GRE

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
pablo4429
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Anxiety about ME grad school from a BS in Physics. Help greatly appreciated!

Hey all, so it is that time of the year to apply to grad schools and I am having some serious anxiety about it. I am applying to Phd programs in ME from a BS in physics and am very unsure about where to apply. I have a 3.72 overall GPA and 1300 combined GRE scores. 3.5 years experience at a national lab and 2 at school with my senior research as well as 5 good letters, at least I believe they are. On paper I feel ok, but I just can't get over feeling like I am competing with people who all got 4.0's, 1500's, multiple paper etc and I won't get in anywhere. I am applying to Stanford(long shot), UCSB, UCSD, UC Davis, CU Boulder and maybe University of Washington do I have a decent shot at any of these places?? I want to study materials in renewable energy, energy generation, or energy optimization, something along those lines, not 100% sure yet.
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


pablo4429 said:
Hey all, so it is that time of the year to apply to grad schools and I am having some serious anxiety about it. I am applying to Phd programs in ME from a BS in physics and am very unsure about where to apply. I have a 3.72 overall GPA and 1300 combined GRE scores. 3.5 years experience at a national lab and 2 at school with my senior research as well as 5 good letters, at least I believe they are. On paper I feel ok, but I just can't get over feeling like I am competing with people who all got 4.0's, 1500's, multiple paper etc and I won't get in anywhere. I am applying to Stanford(long shot), UCSB, UCSD, UC Davis, CU Boulder and maybe University of Washington do I have a decent shot at any of these places?? I want to study materials in renewable energy, energy generation, or energy optimization, something along those lines, not 100% sure yet.
Thanks!

I don't think you need to worry. Most grad students did not get 4.0s, 1500s and get multiple papers published. Obviously you will be competing with people who are very bright and some of them will have those stats but certainly not all of them. I went from MechE undergrad to Aero grad and my stats were similar to yours and I am in a top 10 aero program. Most of the people I know here had similar stats to me. So don't worry about it, just be sure to apply to plenty of programs and you will be fine.
 


ok great thanks! the hardest part I am finding is how to choose safe schools and probable schools. The longshot of Stanford was obvious, but it really hard to gauge where I have good enough stats and who is doing interesting work that would be a good fit for me
 


Although I am not an ME grad. I have talked to and worked under ME graduate students before. You have a good chance to get into those schools.
 


great, I think I may try to apply to a few more places just to hedge my bets, this crap is way more expensive than I originally thought though!