1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean energy of a 3D (quantum) harmonic oscillator

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    This is not really homework, just a project I'm toying with in my sparetime. I'm doing some Path Integral Monte Carlo simulations, for now just for the 1D quantum harmonic oscillator. Anyways, currently I compare my results to the analytic mean energy of a 1D quantum harmonic oscillator, given by the Hamiltonion

[tex]\hat H = \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2m}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {x^2}}} + \frac{1}{2}m{\omega ^2}{x^2}[/tex]

with the trace given as

[tex]\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {\left\langle x \right|\exp \left( { - \beta \hat H} \right)\left| x \right\rangle } = \frac{{\exp \left( { - 0.5\beta \hbar \omega } \right)}}{{1 - \exp \left( { - 0.5\beta \hbar \omega } \right)}}[/tex].

Beta is representing inverse temperature. From the mean energy in terms of the trace we get

[tex]\left\langle H \right\rangle = - \frac{\partial }{{\partial \beta }}\ln \sum\limits_x {\left\langle x \right|\exp \left( { - \beta \hat H} \right)\left| x \right\rangle } [/tex],

which finally amounts to

[tex]\left\langle H \right\rangle = \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega \coth \left( {\frac{1}{2}\beta \hbar \omega } \right)[/tex].

My next step is to expand my program to 3 dimensions. I know that the energy of the classical harmonic oscillator in 3D is simply the result from 1D times the degrees of freedom (3 translational, 2 rotational and 1 vibrational), but does this also hold for the Quantum version of the harmonic oscillator?

I.e. is

[tex]\left\langle {{H_{3D}}} \right\rangle = 3\hbar \omega \coth \left( {\frac{1}{2}\beta \hbar \omega } \right)[/tex]

true?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2
    Actually it should only have 3 degrees of freedom, I was thinking of a diatomic molecule. A single particle described as a 3D QHO got 3 degrees of freedom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook