Mean energy using the partition function

In summary: Bigg{)}$$This is the average energy of an individual particle. So if that is what you are looking for, then this is correct. For the average energy of the whole ensemble, you need a factor of ##N##.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

System of two energy levels, [itex]E_0[/itex] and [itex]E_1[/itex] is populated by [itex]N[/itex] particles, at
temperature [itex]T[/itex]. The particles populate the levels according to the classical
(Maxwell-Boltzmann) distribution law.

(i) Write an expression for the average energy per particle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The partition function of our system [tex]z=\sum_s{e^{-\beta E_s}}= e^{-\beta E_0}+ e^{-\beta E_1}[/tex] where [itex]\beta = \frac{1}{kT}[/itex].
The probability of any number of the [itex]N[/itex] particles being in either system is given by

[tex]P_0 = \frac{1}{z}e^{-\beta E_0}[/tex] [tex]P_1 = \frac{1}{z}e^{-\beta E_1}[/tex]

The average energy [itex]\overline{E}[/itex] is

[tex]\overline{E}= -\frac{1}{z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial \beta} = \frac{E_0 +E_1}{e^{-\beta E_0}+ e^{-\beta E_1}} [/tex]since [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial \beta }= \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta}(e^{-\beta E_0}+ e^{-\beta E_1}) =-(E_0 + E_1)[/tex]

is this a correct method to the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote down the partition function for one particle. You need the one for N particles.

vela said:
You wrote down the partition function for one particle. You need the one for N particles.
[tex]z= \sum_s{e^{-\beta E_s}}[/tex] is that what you mean? and then just use this to find [itex]\overline E[/itex]

Sorry, I get what you mean now! We haven't covered that in class yet so here goes:

Letting [tex]z_1= e^{-\beta E_0}+ e^{-\beta E_1}[/tex]

Thus for [itex]N[/itex] particles we can use
[tex]Z_N = \frac{(z_1)^N}{N!} [/tex]

and plugging in our value for [itex]z_1[/itex] we get

[tex]Z_N = \frac{(e^{-\beta E_0}+ e^{-\beta E_1})^N}{N!}[/tex]

patrickmoloney said:
[tex]Z_N = \frac{(e^{-\beta E_0}+ e^{-\beta E_1})^N}{N!}[/tex]
Yes, this looks right. However it may be useful to write your definition for the average energy in post #1 in a different way
$$\left<E\right>=-\frac{\partial}{\partial\beta}\text{ln}(Z_{N})$$
This will allow you to make use of Stirling's approximation to get rid of the ##N!## and get rid of the ##N## power.

There's no need for Stirling's approximation since ##N!## is a constant.

Patrick, you should take another look at your expression for ##\partial z/\partial\beta## as well. You didn't differentiate correctly.

vela said:

Patrick, you should take another look at your expression for ##\partial z/\partial\beta## as well. You didn't differentiate correctly.
I understand what you mean now! [tex]Z_{sp} = (Z_{sp})^N [/tex] For distinguishable particles.

vela said:
What does ##N## being constant have to do with Stirling's approximation? The only requirement is that ##N## be a very large number, which is often assumed in these types of problems.
patrickmoloney said:
I understand what you mean now! [tex]Z_{sp} = (Z_{sp})^N [/tex] For distinguishable particles.
Even for a classical system the ##N!## is necessary in order for the entropy to be extensive.

NFuller said:
What does ##N## being constant have to do with Stirling's approximation? The only requirement is that ##N## be a very large number, which is often assumed in these types of problems.

Even for a classical system the ##N!## is necessary for the entropy to be extensive.
Does that mean I should always use [tex]Z_N = \dfrac{(Z_1)^N}{N!}[/tex]

patrickmoloney said:
Does that mean I should always use [tex]Z_N = \dfrac{(Z_1)^N}{N!}[/tex]
Not always, but the problem never said the particles were not indistinguishable it only said it was a classical system. I feel like the problem could be more specific but my intuition is that you should keep the ##N!## since leaving it out leads to things like the Gibb's paradox.

Likes patrickmoloney and Greg Bernhardt
NFuller said:
Nothing, but if the ##\log N!## term is going to disappear anyway when you differentiate, why bother approximating it in the first place?

vela said:
Nothing, but if the ##\log N!## term is going to disappear anyway when you differentiate, why bother approximating it in the first place?
I see your point. However I would still argue in favor of including it for pedagogical reasons. If the particles are indistinguishable, writing ##Z## without the ##N!## term is incorrect; if the problem has a second part asking for the entropy or free energy, then the OP would be lead to the wrong answer.

[tex]\langle E \, \rangle= -\dfrac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \beta}= \Bigg {(}\dfrac{E_1 e^{-E_1 \beta}}{1 + e^{-E_1 \beta}}\Bigg{)}[/tex]

if we let [itex]E_0 = 0[/itex] be our zero-energy level.

Last edited:
patrickmoloney said:
[tex]\langle E \, \rangle= -\dfrac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \beta}= \Bigg {(}\dfrac{E_1 e^{-E_1 \beta}}{1 + e^{-E_1 \beta}}\Bigg{)}[/tex]

if we let [itex]E_0 = 0[/itex] be our zero-energy level.
This is the average energy of an individual particle. So if that is what you are looking for, then this is correct. For the average energy of the whole ensemble, you need a factor of ##N##.
$$\langle E \, \rangle= -\dfrac{\partial \ln Z_{N}}{\partial \beta}= \Bigg {(}\dfrac{NE_1 e^{-E_1 \beta}}{1 + e^{-E_1 \beta}}\Bigg{)}$$

Yep it's just for one particle. What would happen to the average energy if the temperature [itex]T \to 0[/itex] and [itex]T \to \infty[/itex] I assume that for [itex]T \to \infty[/itex] we would get

[tex]\langle E \rangle = E_1[/tex]

since [itex]\dfrac{E_1 e^{0}}{1 + e^{0}} = E_1[/itex]. For [itex]\beta = \dfrac{1}{kT}[/itex]

Close, what is ##1+e^{0}##?

NFuller said:
Close, what is ##1+e^{0}##?
Right! [tex]\dfrac{E_1}{2}[/tex]

The other one is kind of confusing me. I think as [itex]T \to 0[/itex] we have [itex]\dfrac{-E_1}{kT} \ll 0[/itex]. That's all I can kind of deduce from that

As ##T\rightarrow0##, ##\beta\rightarrow\infty##. So what happens to ##e^{-\beta E_{1}}## and hence ##\langle E \rangle## in this limit?

NFuller said:
As ##T\rightarrow0##, ##\beta\rightarrow\infty##. So what happens to ##e^{-\beta E_{1}}## and hence ##\langle E \rangle## in this limit?
[tex]e^{-E_1 \beta} = \dfrac{1}{e^{E_1 \beta}}[/tex]

and [itex]\beta \to 0 \implies e^{-E_1 \beta} =0[/itex] But wouldn't that give us the same value [itex]\dfrac{E_1}{2}[/itex]??

patrickmoloney said:
[itex]\beta \to 0 \implies e^{-E_1 \beta} =0[/itex]
I think you mean ##\beta \to \infty \implies e^{-E_1 \beta} =0##. With this in mind, what is ##E_{1}e^{-\beta E_{1}}## in this limit?

NFuller said:
I think you mean ##\beta \to \infty \implies e^{-E_1 \beta} =0##. With this in mind, what is ##E_{1}e^{-\beta E_{1}}## in this limit?
Oh sorry yeah. That gives us [tex]\langle E \, \rangle= \dfrac{0}{1+0}=0[/tex]

Thank you so much for that!

Likes NFuller

1. What is the partition function in the context of mean energy calculations?

The partition function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to calculate the average energy of a system. It takes into account all possible energy states of a system and assigns a probability to each state based on the system's temperature and other physical parameters.

2. How is the partition function related to the mean energy of a system?

The mean energy of a system can be calculated by taking the derivative of the partition function with respect to temperature. This relationship is known as the equipartition theorem and is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics.

3. Can the partition function be used to calculate the energy distribution in a system?

Yes, the partition function can be used to calculate the probability of a system being in a specific energy state. By multiplying this probability with the corresponding energy value, the energy distribution of the system can be determined.

4. How is the partition function affected by changes in temperature?

The partition function is directly proportional to the temperature of a system. As the temperature increases, the partition function also increases, indicating a higher probability of the system being in higher energy states. Similarly, as the temperature decreases, the partition function decreases, indicating a higher probability of the system being in lower energy states.

5. How is the partition function used in thermodynamic calculations?

The partition function is a crucial component in thermodynamic calculations, as it allows for the determination of thermodynamic properties such as entropy, free energy, and heat capacity. By using the partition function, these properties can be calculated without having to consider the individual energy states of a system.