Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules

1. Oct 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the mean spacing between hemoglobin molecules inside a red blood cell?

2. Relevant equations
    Diameter of red blood cell = 5 microns
    3*10^8 hemoglobin molecules in each red blood cell
    Volume of hemoglobin molecule = 8.71*10^-26 m

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assume we take the blood cell to be a spherical model, therefore we can find the volume of the cell. I am having trouble understanding how to use this data to find spacing inside a sphere.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2010 #2
    anyone know where to start? I was thinking to use the density of the red blood cell but I am still having trouble figuring out how to eventually get to mean spacing

4. Oct 24, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would treat it as a simple geometry. Calculate volume available to each hemoglobin molecules, assume it sits in the center of a cube, calculate cube edge length.

--

5. Oct 24, 2010 #4
    So if we take the molecule in the center, then would the separation be the distance between the center of two cubes? The separation is the cube length? I am having trouble understanding how you determine cube length. Are we supposing the molecule takes up all the possible room in the cube?

6. Oct 24, 2010 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is the same.

Oh come on, what is the formula for cube volume?

Doesn't matter, even if it doesn't take whole volume. Space can be filled with anything - water for example.

There is a possible problem if given molecule volume is higher than the cube volume, that would mean something is wrong.

7. Oct 24, 2010 #6
    Thank you, my main problem was understanding what would happen if the molecule did not completely occupy the cube or so. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook