Mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules

In summary, the mean spacing between hemoglobin molecules inside a red blood cell is 8.71*10^-26 meters.
Krazer101

Homework Statement

Calculate the mean spacing between hemoglobin molecules inside a red blood cell?

Homework Equations

Diameter of red blood cell = 5 microns
3*10^8 hemoglobin molecules in each red blood cell
Volume of hemoglobin molecule = 8.71*10^-26 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume we take the blood cell to be a spherical model, therefore we can find the volume of the cell. I am having trouble understanding how to use this data to find spacing inside a sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone know where to start? I was thinking to use the density of the red blood cell but I am still having trouble figuring out how to eventually get to mean spacing

I would treat it as a simple geometry. Calculate volume available to each hemoglobin molecules, assume it sits in the center of a cube, calculate cube edge length.

--

So if we take the molecule in the center, then would the separation be the distance between the center of two cubes? The separation is the cube length? I am having trouble understanding how you determine cube length. Are we supposing the molecule takes up all the possible room in the cube?

Krazer101 said:
So if we take the molecule in the center, then would the separation be the distance between the center of two cubes? The separation is the cube length?

It is the same.

I am having trouble understanding how you determine cube length.

Oh come on, what is the formula for cube volume?

Are we supposing the molecule takes up all the possible room in the cube?

Doesn't matter, even if it doesn't take whole volume. Space can be filled with anything - water for example.

There is a possible problem if given molecule volume is higher than the cube volume, that would mean something is wrong.

Thank you, my main problem was understanding what would happen if the molecule did not completely occupy the cube or so. Thanks for explaining it to me.

1. What is the definition of mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules?

The mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules refers to the average distance between individual molecules of Hemoglobin within a sample or solution.

2. Why is mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules important?

The mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules is important because it can provide information about the structure and function of Hemoglobin, which is a crucial protein in the body responsible for carrying oxygen to cells.

3. How is the mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules measured?

The mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules can be measured using various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, small-angle X-ray scattering, and electron microscopy.

4. What factors can affect the mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules?

The mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules can be affected by factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other molecules or ions in the solution.

5. What is the average value of mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules?

The average value of mean spacing between Hemoglobin molecules can vary depending on the specific conditions and techniques used for measurement. Generally, it is around 5-6 nanometers (nm) for adult human Hemoglobin.