1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average distance between gas molecules

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show how you would find the average distance between gas molecules at a specific volume, pressure and temp?

Given;
    Pressure=P (torr)
    Temp=T (Kelvin)
    n=number of mol
    N=number of molecules
    Volume=V (cm)^3

2. Relevant equations

pv=nRT N=n*(NA) N/Volume

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having a hard time understanding how to set up an equation that would show the average distance between molecules.

If I take the number of molecules (N) / Volume= N / (cm)^(3) so how would I find the distance between them??? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2
    The most obvious way to do this would be to say that on average, each particle occupies a volume of V/N. Because the gas has no lattice or anything which breaks rotational symmetry, you might think that on average, the volume that each particle occupies is a sphere surrounding that particle. The average distance between the particles would be the distance between the centerpoints of two neighboring balls each with volume V/N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted