1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean value of energy <E> for a QM state?

1. May 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the system is in a state

|ψ> = 1/sqrt(6) |v1> + 1/sqrt(3) |v2> - i/sqrt(2) |v3>

with Hamiltonian satisfying H|vj> = (2-j)a|vj>

Find the mean value of energy <E> and the root mean square deviation √(<E2> - <E>2 ) that would result from making a number of measurements of the energy of the system in state |ψ>

2. Relevant equations
    <E> = <ψ|E|ψ>

for a free particle E = p2 / 2m
    3. The attempt at a solution

To find the mean value of Energy <E> is it just eigenvalues (a, 0 -a) multiplied by the probability of it being in the corresponding state P = (1/6, 1/3, 1/2)?

= a/6 - a/2 = -2a/6.
    For E2 then do you just have the same, but the eigenvalues squared multiplied by the probabilities?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2016 #2
    except divide the energy by two? as its a mean, so it would be -a/6 ?

4. May 31, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why divide by 2 ? What would be the mean value for the identity operator 1 ?

5. May 31, 2016 #4
    1, so do you just find the mean of the eigenvalues? So 0...

6. Jun 1, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the identity operator you get ##\ {1\over 6} + {1\over 3} + {(-i^*)(-i)\over 2} = 1 \ ##. No dividing by 2. The state is properly normalized.

For <H> you get ##\ {1\over 6} (a) + {1\over 3} (0) + {(-i^*)(-i)\over 2} (-a) = {\displaystyle -a\over 3} \ ## as you did. No dividing by 2 either.

So for <H2> ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted