Finding Values for Mean Value Theorem in Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value(s) of c guaranteed by the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals using the function f(x)=x - 2(square root of x) and the interval [0,2]. The speaker found the integral to be x^2/2 - 4/3 x^3/2 and solved for the interval to get 2- 8(square root of 2)/3. They then plugged in the values to the equation f(c)(2-0)= 2- 8(square root of 2)/3 and asked for confirmation on their method. The respondent confirms that their methods are correct so far and provides a hint to solve the equation by substituting u = \sqrt
vee123
I'm having a some difficulty with this problem:

Fidn the value(s) of c guaranteed by the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals for the function over the indicated interval:

f(x)=x - 2(square root of x) Interval: [0,2]

I found the integral to be: x^2/2 - 4/3 x^3/2, then I solved for the interval and got 2- 8(square root of 2)/3
then I did this:
f(c)(2-0)= 2- 8(square root of 2)/3

I just want to know if I am doing this correctly because I can't seem to get the right answers (0.4380,1.7908)

Physics news on Phys.org
your methods are correct so far.

you should have an equation that involves [itex] c [/itex] and [itex] \sqrt{c} [/itex]

hint: to solve this equation form the quadratic equation in u, by substituting [itex] u = \sqrt{c} [/itex]

-MS

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I know what to do now. I really appreciate it!

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval.

What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a way to prove the existence of a specific point within an interval where the function has a certain rate of change. This theorem is used in many calculus problems, including optimization and curve sketching.

How is the Mean Value Theorem related to Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem, where the average rate of change is equal to zero. This means that the function has a horizontal tangent line at some point within the interval. The Mean Value Theorem is a generalization of this concept, allowing for any non-zero average rate of change.

Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that are continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. This means that the function must be defined and have a well-defined derivative for all points within the interval.

How can the Mean Value Theorem be used to solve problems?

The Mean Value Theorem can be used to solve problems involving finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point, determining the average rate of change of a function, and finding the existence of a point with a certain rate of change. It is also useful in proving other theorems and concepts in calculus.