1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean value thereom application

1. Dec 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that x,y are in (0,0.5). Show that:
    $$\left|\frac{1}{x^3}-\frac{1}{y^3}\right| ≥ 48|x-y|$$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that we need a function ##f(t) = t^{-3}## & ##f'(t) = -3t^{-4}##. Now we use the MVT here to show that there is some c that makes the expression in the problem correct right? My question is how do I incorporate the absolute value notations in the statement here?
    $$-3c^{-4} = \frac{f(y) - f(x)}{y-x}$$
    I think we have to assume that either x or y is greater than the other(because if they were equal then the above owuld be proven). Do I just input c for 0.5? I'm unsure.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not clear why the MVT would help here.

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3
    I forgot to add that they are differentiable on the interval (x,y)

5. Dec 10, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I still can't see why you think the MVT helps you.

6. Dec 10, 2016 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember that all your variables are in ##(0,\frac 1 2)##. If you take the absolute value of both sides of what you have written you get$$
    \frac 3 {c^4} =\frac{|f(y) - f(x)|}{|y-x |}$$which can be rewritten$$
    \frac 3 {c^4} |y-x| =\left | \frac 1 {x^3} - \frac 1 {y^3}\right |$$Think about how large or small the left side can be.

7. Dec 12, 2016 #6
    Since c is an element of x,y then it can't be larger than 0.5 or smaller than 0? And as such this proves that since 48|y-x| will be greater since y is greater than c? So the side with c will always be smaller.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  8. Dec 12, 2016 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't make any sense. ##c## is a number in ##(0,.5)##, not an "element" of x,y, whatever that means.

Stating the result doesn't prove anything. You need to show some inequalities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted