Mean velocity in a circular pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses frictionless, inviscous flow in a circular pipe with a given velocity profile, volume flow rate, and pipe radius. The mean velocity is found using two different approaches, one by dividing the flow rate by the area and the other by integrating the velocity over the area and dividing by the area. The discrepancy between the two results is explained by the fact that for an average, the integral should be taken over the area and then divided by the area.
kbaumen

Homework Statement

Frictionless, inviscous flow in a circular pipe.

Velocity profile, [itex]v(r) = 6 - 6r^{1.828}[/itex]
Volume flowrate, [itex]Q = 9 \frac{\text{m}^3}{\text{s}}[/itex]
Pipe radius, [itex]R = 1[/itex] m
Given velocities, [itex]v(0) = 6[/itex] m/s, [itex]v(R) = 0[/itex] m/s.

Find mean velocity [itex]v_{av}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
If I just divide the flowrate by area, I get the correct answer - 9/[itex]\pi[/itex] (correct according to the tutorial solutions anyway). It also seems to make sense.

However, if I integrate the velocity along [itex]r[/itex] from 0 to [itex]R[/itex] and divide everything by [itex]R[/itex], I get a different value.

[tex]
v_{av} = \frac{1}{R} \int_0^R (6 - 6r^{1.828}) \mathrm{d}r = 3.858
[/tex]

Can anyone explain the discrepancy? To me both approaches make sense but I can't work out why the results are different.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kbaumen! :smile:

for an average, shouldn't the integral be (1/πR2) ∫ 2πrdr etc ?

tiny-tim said:
hi kbaumen! :smile:

for an average, shouldn't the integral be (1/πR2) ∫ 2πrdr etc ?

Cheers, that actually makes sense. Integrate over area and divide by area.

1. What is mean velocity in a circular pipe?

Mean velocity in a circular pipe refers to the average velocity of a fluid flow in a circular pipe. It is calculated by dividing the total volumetric flow rate by the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

2. How is mean velocity in a circular pipe measured?

Mean velocity in a circular pipe can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as pitot tubes, electromagnetic flow meters, and ultrasonic flow meters. These devices measure the speed of the fluid at various points in the pipe and use this data to calculate the mean velocity.

3. What factors affect mean velocity in a circular pipe?

Mean velocity in a circular pipe is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the flow rate. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and roughness of the pipe walls can also impact the mean velocity.

4. Why is mean velocity in a circular pipe important?

Mean velocity in a circular pipe is an important parameter in fluid dynamics and engineering. It is used to calculate other important factors such as pressure drop, shear stress, and Reynolds number, which are crucial in designing and analyzing fluid systems.

5. How can mean velocity in a circular pipe be optimized?

Mean velocity in a circular pipe can be optimized by adjusting the flow rate and selecting the appropriate pipe size and shape. Additionally, using smooth and clean pipes can reduce friction and increase the mean velocity. Advanced flow control techniques, such as flow straighteners and turbulence promoters, can also improve mean velocity in a circular pipe.