Meaning of a union symbol in front of a set?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter df606
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set Symbol Union
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
df606
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to read this book "Automata, Computability, and Complexity" by Elaine Rich and on page 75 it defines this function: [itex]\delta'(Q,c) = \cup\{eps(p):\exists q\in Q((q,c,p)\in\Delta)\}[/itex]
I've never seen the union operator used in this way. What does it mean?
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Edit: I don't care what the stuff inside the brackets means. I understand that part. I'm asking, what does [itex]\cup[/itex] mean when it's front of any set? It could be something like [itex]\cup\{x:x\in\mathbb{R}\}[/itex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A union in front of a set is written when the elements in the set are sets themselves. So for example, we can have

[tex]\bigcup \{A~\vert~A\in \mathcal{A}\}[/tex]

this just means to take the union of each element in the set. That is:

[tex]\bigcup_{A\in \mathcal{A}}{A}[/tex]

Writing [itex]\cup \{x~\vert~x\in \mathbb{R}\}[/itex] doesn't make much sense since the element of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] aren't sets (unless you see them as Dedekind cuts).