Set Theory and Predicate Calculus?

In summary, using predicate calculus, it can be proven that x(sub)1 ∈ R if given the set relations P ⊆ Q, Q ⊆ (S ∩ T), S ⊆ (R ∪ T^c), and x(sub)1 ∈ P.
thename1000
Set Theory and Predicate Calculus (12 points)
Given: P ⊆ Q
Q ⊆ (S ∩ T)
S ⊆ (R ∪ T^c)
x(sub)1 ∈ P
Use predicate calculus to prove x(sub)1 ∈ R.

Studying for a test but I don't have this worked out for me. I honestly don't even know where to start. I know what union, intersect, etc and all the symbols mean I'm just bad at the Predicate Calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need help from someone who knows that particular textbook.

g_edgar said:
I think you need help from someone who knows that particular textbook.

Oh really its that specific? :( too bad

Nah, I might be able to help. I will look at it after class.

Why not start by drawing a picture (e.g., a Venn diagram) to see what a model of these sentences must look like? I find that pictures are especially helpful at suggesting proofs by contradiction.

thename1000 said:
Set Theory and Predicate Calculus (12 points)
Given: P ⊆ Q
Q ⊆ (S ∩ T)
S ⊆ (R ∪ T^c)
x(sub)1 ∈ P
Use predicate calculus to prove x(sub)1 ∈ R.

Studying for a test but I don't have this worked out for me. I honestly don't even know where to start. I know what union, intersect, etc and all the symbols mean I'm just bad at the Predicate Calculus.

If [itex]x_1\in P[/itex] then, by the first line, [itex]x_1\in Q[/itex]. By the second line [itex]x_1\in S[/itex] and in T. By the third line then, [itex]x_1\in R[/itex] or [itex]x_1\in T^c[/itex]. But since [itex]x_1\in T[/itex], it can't be in [itex]T^c[/itex]. Therefore [itex]x_1\in R[/itex].

Now all you have to do is express that in predicate calculus!

1. What is the difference between a set and a predicate?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, while a predicate is a statement or condition that is either true or false for a given input. In set theory, predicates are often used to define subsets of a larger set.

2. How do you represent sets and predicates in mathematical notation?

Sets are typically represented using curly braces { } and listing the elements contained within the set. Predicates are represented using logical symbols and variables, such as ∀ (for all), ∃ (there exists), and ∈ (is an element of). For example, the predicate "x is an even number" can be represented as ∀x(x∈E), where E is the set of even numbers.

3. What is the difference between an element and a subset?

An element is an individual object that is contained within a set, while a subset is a set that contains only elements from another, larger set. For example, the set {2, 4, 6} is a subset of the set of even numbers, but 5 is an element of the set of odd numbers.

4. How are operations like union and intersection used in set theory?

Union (∪) and intersection (∩) are two basic set operations that combine or compare elements from two or more sets. Union combines all elements from both sets, while intersection only includes elements that are common to both sets. These operations are useful for defining and analyzing relationships between sets.

5. What is the role of predicate calculus in mathematics?

Predicate calculus is a formal system of logic that is used to analyze and reason about statements and their truth values. It provides a framework for expressing and evaluating mathematical statements using logical symbols and rules. It is a fundamental tool in many areas of mathematics, including set theory, algebra, and topology.