Meaning of "equatorial radius in an orbital plane"

In summary, The conversation discusses using a tool to solve the inverse geodesic problem numerically, and the need to specify the "equatorial radius" in order to complete the calculation. There is some confusion about what this term refers to, but it is ultimately determined that it is the distance from the center of an ellipsoidal central mass, and that all points on the equator of an ellipsoid are equally distant from the center.
M.T
I wish to solve the inverse geodesic problem numerically using http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/html/classGeographicLib_1_1Geodesic.html#a455300c36e6caa70968115416e1573a4, and to finish off I need to specify the "equatorial radius". I am not too familiar with this, and do not see immediately what I would define as "North" or "South" in the orbital plane.

Does the "equatorial radius" here refer to the semi-major axis, or perhaps the apocenter or pericenter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MT:

I noticed that no one has responded to your question for about a day, so I thought I would try to give a useful reply based on my my limited knowledge.

I do not understand the tool you linked to, so this is just a guess. Perhaps the tool takes into account the possibility that the central mass effecting geodesic calculations is not radially symmetric. In that case the equatorial radius may refer to the maximum radius of an ellipsoidal central mass, like the Earth's equatorial radius is larger than its polar radius.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes M.T
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi MT:

I noticed that no one has responded to your question for about a day, so I thought I would try to give a useful reply based on my my limited knowledge.

I do not understand the tool you linked to, so this is just a guess. Perhaps the tool takes into account the possibility that the central mass effecting geodesic calculations is not radially symmetric. In that case the equatorial radius may refer to the maximum radius of an ellipsoidal central mass, like the Earth's equatorial radius is larger than its polar radius.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi Buzz Bloom

Thanks for the reply.

The central mass is assumed ellipsoidal, so I agree with you in that it does not have to be radially symmetric. I guess it also makes sense to define the equator along the largest "diameter", that is ##2a ## with ## a ## being the semi-major axis, but is the radius then (1) ## a ## (distance from centre of ellipsoid) or is it (2) ## c+a ## with ## c ## being the distance from the foci where eg. the Earth is; ## c-a ## being the shortest distance between the Earth and the ellipsoid orbit, and ## c+a ## the longest distance.

would I be right then in assuming you mean the distance from the centre (1)?

Thanks,
MT

M.T said:
would I be right then in assuming you mean the distance from the centre (1)?
Hi MT:

Yes, except that no mean is necessary, since for an ellipsoid all points on the equator are equally distant from the center.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the equatorial radius in an orbital plane?

The equatorial radius in an orbital plane refers to the distance from the center of an orbit to the point at which the orbit is intersected by the plane of the equator. In other words, it is the distance from the center of the orbit to the furthest point from the center on the same plane.

2. How is the equatorial radius in an orbital plane measured?

The equatorial radius in an orbital plane is typically measured in meters or kilometers using specialized instruments such as radar or laser ranging systems. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations and data from satellite observations.

3. What is the significance of the equatorial radius in an orbital plane?

The equatorial radius in an orbital plane is an important parameter in determining the shape and size of an orbit. It is also used in calculating the orbital period and speed of an object, as well as its distance from other objects in the orbit.

4. How does the equatorial radius in an orbital plane differ from the polar radius?

The equatorial radius in an orbital plane is the distance from the center of an orbit to the furthest point on the same plane, while the polar radius is the distance from the center of an orbit to the furthest point on a perpendicular plane (i.e. the poles). In most cases, the equatorial radius is longer than the polar radius, resulting in an oblate spheroid shape for the orbiting object.

5. Can the equatorial radius in an orbital plane change?

Yes, the equatorial radius in an orbital plane can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, atmospheric drag, and internal processes within the orbiting object. These changes can also affect the shape and orientation of the orbit.