Meaning of isomorphism/diffeomorphism ## f: R^n\to M^m##

• Thread starter shooride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map
In summary: No, dimension is a diffeomorphism invariant. Take, e.g., the Jacobian to see why this is not possible. Dimension ( I think this is the Lebesgue dimension) is a topological, i.e., homeomorphism - invariantThen if M and N are topologically equivalent manifolds, there must be a homeomorphism h: M —> N. This implies that for any point p of M, the relative homology groups Hk(M,M-p) and Hk(N,N-h(p)) are isomorphic.If the dimensions dim(M) and dim(N) were not equal, let's assume, without
you are probably right but just as an intuitive response, what about a vector field that equals zero at every point of the x axis? then the unique solution through a point of the x-axis would be the constant ciurve at that point. I.e, no solution could flow along the x-axis since the velocity is always zero there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I meant — by a vector field tangent to all the curves G_c — a non-zero vector field tangent to these curves at each point. (One way to define such a field uniquely is to choose the vector of length = 1 having positive x-component that is tangent

"The" ordinary differential equation defined by the family of curves (for any c ∈ ℝ) G_c = {(x, (x-c)3) | x ∈ } would be any non-zero vector field V(x,y) tangent at every point (a,b) to the unique curve G_c that passes through (a,b). (This would be the curve G_c for the unique number c that satisfies (a-c)3 = b.)

But this vector field would be nowhere zero, so would not have zero velocity anywhere.